22 February, 2008

Virgil "Thursday" Hilts.1 / Among the Law Courts

I'd had a ticket for sometime now - the police officer claimed I'd been doing 52 in a 30 - uh, I , uh totally deny that. but it was curious - the ticketing officer told me that he was not going to show up in court on the day I was supposed to go in - he claimed that it was the alderman who was ordering the ticketing, and for whatever reason, he would not b there.

Raced , 'cause I was so late, and got to my school to dump N.S.1 Strasser in my schools parking lot and hopped on the El. Got to court - late - and was happy 'cause the officer was not there. Until, of course, he showed up.

He was late by half hour, and I believe he had told me in good faith that he was not showing up - it was just that I was so late he got there for later cases. However, since I 'm a nice guy, the judge dismissed my ticket.

Nice guy entails the following. Telling the court lady (the scribe) the judges rite name. Then making them laugh about something. Then i tried to translate for a Spanish speaker when he tried to register (I had to do so as well- both of us were late). So my Spanish was both ace and oor - I pidgined out tu hablo ella ahorra - which is" You speak her now?" - not even correct anyway you look @ it. I should have said El premier beis tu habla ella ? ("The first time you speak her?") - and it was.

So, me being a nice guy benefitted me this way. When I was called to the docket, the officer was there, and the judge basically said to the city lawyer "Well, is it fair that I have dismissed several cases rite before, and now the officer is here? What do you recommend, lawyer?". He said "It's up to you judge", and th judge responded by handing me back my licence.

Yes, happy mood!

Fun note: Ususally when one gets a new licence, they confiscate the old one. However, I still have every one I have ever been licenced for. This time what let me keep my old licence this time was a trick of timing = My licence expired (in Jan.) when it was in the possesion of the court. The State of Illinois allows drivers to be re-licenced in these circumstances, so I did in early january. The judge had no clue - when he handed it back to me, I just grabbed it and went. So, 100% recovery rate has been kept. I am glad.
.....................................................................
This pst origially read:
(((Succesful

More later, and I'm sorry to say it may be 'till Sunday.)))

No comments: