08 February, 2008

Busby Babes

Interesting reading the articles on the '58 crash of the plane carrying Man U's team. The second article points out that the crash really garnered a lot of sympathry from people- and aslo mythologised the team. I was yalking football w/ BCD last nite (Aresnal) and I'm trying to get him to read Fever Pitch by Hornsby. All about growing an Arsenal fan and the deep interference that meant in his personal life. Although it would have been better for him to have been a fan of the (real) Reds, it also meant that he'd 've had to grow up in Manchester, and not living in London for so long.

Again, the reason I brought it up was because of something in Fever Pitch. Hornsby writes about - in a classic turn - that Man united fans suffer from 'frustrated grandeur'. Now, one's gotta understand that this book was written before the Ninties - when the world got deeply sick of United's Decade of Grandeur. But it was an interesting reflection after reading the articles yesterday and it's emphesis on the crash really aiding the teams mystic. Funny- Harry Carey's famous quote about Old Comisky Park : "Ah ya can't beat fun@ the old Ballpark". Man U's field, officially called Old Trafford (that's the 'hood it's in) , is pompously refered to as the "Theatre of Dreams".
Yeah, yeah, I know. I've got pompous typed all over me in Helvitica Bold. Here's some more:

Again, I'm glad it was Mnachester that Uncle Franks wife moved to (she was Irish, but like the Smiths, from Manchester) and that my cousins were United- not City- fans. Sorry Oasis. Or, for that matter, Reading fans. Reading ??

4 comments:

Steve said...

Morrissey's "Munich Air Disaster 1958" v. The Futureheads' "News and Tributes." Discuss.

Hilts said...

Funny. You have blogged about being not quite the same fan of Morrissey as in the past, and its the same with me. Still love him, but y'know.
However - and htis is terrible - I had totally forgotten he had a song on the crash.

How I have fallen

Steve said...

The reason you forgot is that his song about it is rather forgettable. The only melodies he has are the vocal ones, and that's pretty sad considering what once was.

And the Futureheads song is absolutely ace.

Hilts said...

Totally true. There were no (or very few) songs of the smiths that were forgettable, but many Morrissey - esp later years.

Say, I just realised that i have a review of the second Morrissey show in...October?? I have it all noted down and was waiting for me to figger out youtube (I took 3 videos, they're in my youtube area). I will amidt that I'm waiting for you to clobber 'my journalism'. Just kidding, I know you won't clobber me. But, it'll be out soon. just don't ask me How soon..........