24 February, 2008

Loose women

Made sure I went to mass this Sunday, and tried to look sharp as well. Also brought my Spanish translation. The Gospel? Jesus talks to the Samaritin women @ the well, one of the great ones. The priest said his sermon well, but 'mine'* is better. This is another example of Jesus reaching out across boundries to connect with people he - because of the predjucies of the time - and all good Jews should not be talking to.

Mass was boringly sung** , but I did reflect on the changing meanings of prayers that I have heard for two score and two, plus nine months. That line, a castaway line drudgingly repeated through the eras, can move: "Lord, I am not worthy to recieve you, but only say the word and I shall be healed." My Dad always said the old school " ...only say the word and I shall be happy", but he can keep that Irish crap - I'll take the St. Rita version.


John 4: 5-42

..................................................................

*=well, Spong's

**=again, from Stephen Hero. Dedalus (the young joyce) and friend are leaving a mass and one say to the other that "it was a well sung mass". For my uses, since our masses are no longer sung all the way through, it can mean two things: well sung, as the music is great/moving, or the mass itself is moving. Neither today that much.

No comments: