12 February, 2008

Mommy jokes / I laugh / take note / and rehash here

As part of my lazy learn of Spanish to be a better citizen of America, I take a Spanish language New Testement w/ me to put fun vigor into my self lessons. Typical catholic mass has three 'readings' - one form the Old Testement, two from the New Testement. That means I can translate two passages, especially if it's a boring mass I'm not into.

I got the Spanish N.T. that nite I saw one of Stephin Merrits /Claudia Gonson's bands @ Shuba's - Future Bible Hero's. It was a wonderous show and I saw it when I was falling in......err, falling for a girl in late 2002. It was two shows in same nite, and I saw both. It was a lightning show, and the song "I'm a vampire baby" was going through my head. It was brilliant. I was rocking the long hair back then - perfect to swing in back and forth to the rythm of the music. Always loved to have that hairswing involvd in my dansing -and a partial reason I've let my hair grow recently.

That girl? I was taking a class with her that Fall, and that next day in class one of my fellow students spilled the beans to her that Hilts had a real liking for her (Afrika Korps girl). I remember the scence, although I was told much later what had happened. There was a break in class, Afrika Korps went to the loo, and my friend followed her out and had this conversation:

Friend: Say, Virgil likes you.
Afrika Korps: Oh, yes, he's nice.
Friend: No. He Likes you.
Afrika Korps : Oh.

That deal, in every way, went the way of Sally and the Roses. But I remember, w/out being privvy to what had been aid between them or even knowing she was gonna try to play matchmaker, that Afrika Korps came back in, took her regular seat next to me, and pointed to the doodling I'd done in my notes : I'd written "I'm a Vampire baby". I know, I know, boring story. But it was very powerful @ the time, and later finding out what had been said between them made the scene even cooler- She'd walked in after being told that I had a crush on her and immediatlely started to flirt.

God, she took so long to get over. Too long. Sally, the roses, the closed door, hair hung down, downtown- the whole wide world. Probably all of the meanings for the song that I'd reprinted earlier - w/ the obvious exception of the lesbian thing - were in play. Yeesh, wouldn't have wished that on anyone: but totally kool - @ the same time- to have gone through it. Saddest thing in the whole wide world.

Wait-- back to the Spanish Testement. Sorry. I took the bus back from shuba's, but first stopped by that mexican place just South of Lawerence east side of Western. They had a few copies lying there, and I thought "Oh, i should grab one- maybe I'll use it to learn Spanish one day". I remember eating @ Jokers place and he had tendered me the supreme kindness of leaving a few reds on the coffee table for me - he knew I'd be jonesing. Bless you, Joker.

So, as you know from reading this blog, I talk a lot about religion, Jesus, and the state of society. I can be very opinionated and pontificating on various subjects, especially when it comes to Jesus. So,this one day I was scurrying about the house looking for my N.T. translation since I so need it to feel complete @ mass - and I finally found it. As Gf and I were then leaving the house, my Mom called out after me - MOCKING out after me, more like it - about the translation I held in my hand :


"He's going to make corrections"


My favourite Mom-told joke. Love to Mom, Joker, Gf, Stephin, Claudia, Jesus, Sally, Friend....... and even Afrika Korps Girl.

No comments: