21 May, 2007

Writing and being paid, and not in that order.

They all have had their effects on me. This time it was that one that broke my heart several years back, Afrika Korps*. She was Miss Budget, working in summer and after school and whatever Saturdays she could to make that cash, and I do believe she spent it all on thongs. But she imprinted on me in a way my dad never did that ‘if they are going to pay you, work it.’ So I got six hours @ my hourly rate, which is pretty good these days. A pretty good thing for her to imprint on me. That and a complete distrust of all women** .

So I worked. Had to get up 6am on a Saturday to get to the Mayor Daley Book Club on time. It was fun and a little illuminating. It was a series of workshops for kids who are readers and culminates in a quiz contest between three surviving schools on 20 different books the kids are supposed to have read (four kids on each team). Hilts H.S. was not in it, but we got to go to the workshops. I went to two, and they both dealt with writing (uh, oh!!!!!!). Yeah, because of the blog, my old dream of getting down all the old roofing stories into some sorta workable form (decades now have I wanted this) noww seems just a matter of a little work. Since I was here for workshops, I decided to use my time wisely. So I first went to one that focused on writing inspired by listening to music. The lady, a West side born and bred 60’s blackpowerhippyactivist , was kool as hell. We meditated for a bit (cleanse the energy or something), then she played different songs to inspire us. A propulsive song, called something along the lines of “heart in hand”, was my choice, and I wrote about writing…………. In a blog…………. This is what I scribbled down:

“Rambling on sometimes, sentences awry, but with all eyes on its just a matter of course to carry on. It’s the duality of responsibility & total lack of responsibility, both sides of a double side”

Means??

“I tend to ramble on, but its important to put some stuff down to get something going-y can come back and edit it up, but start now. I’m in the position of ’not letting go the tigers tale’, because I have the responsibility of writing now because I know my work is appreciated by frenz, but they have vibed me that I can write about anything (no responsibility), as long as I keep doing it.”

It goes back to that day in the basement months ago, with Gf hanging with my Mom upstairs and Roxx, Matt Jenke and I hanging downstairs. Rocky quizzed me hard about the blog, and I realized that “Shit: he’s really reading it, getting the jokes, liking the form, and challenging me to keep going.” I totally knew others had appreciated it, but with both Roxx and Jenke hammering on the theme, it was the first time I realized that I really was on to something.

to this day, my favourite blog enteries were the ones directly after that meeting w/ rocky: the two shit themed ones( #1 & #2 ) - I was given the go code to totally put my impramateur on my work- funny, but i needed it. And now, after this weekd, I have 2 more favourites: the Morrissey review, which is somewhat tepid, and the comments on the 'Adolph Hitler ist der sieg' one.


The second workshop was with a published author of “Back Romance” genre novels. Part of the wshop was “list reasons why you write”. My quick jots (non italicized parts) were:

My frenz like it.
I like to push myself on others (see the Morrissey review)
Documentation (Roofing stories, to be collected under the name “Fleet Action is Imminent”)
Discipline (Try to write dcs material very structured and on ‘deadline‘)
I should

Q & A time got me to ask some q’s, like “Do you write when you are tired?” (no), and “Where comes the stories ?” (everywhere, sometime just flashed of inspiration, sometimes interests,)

So, although it totally wasted me tired, I was glad went. I got paid, I helped my fellow librarian with the day, and I got to start thinking about this writing thing…………………..




*=Why that name? Google Afrika Korps, find the correct German three word term for that part of the Whermacht, and then initial it up. That’s the last time…….

**=just a funny. My Mom has many imprints on me, so understand I totally trust women. And my love of a thronged girl long predates her. I’ll write about that girl one day.

No comments: