04 May, 2007

Giddy delight to (bounded) depths of despair, in less than 8minutes.

Had the great delight over breakfast to watch an American crow makes its first entry into the yard. Giant birds in the context of my backyard (biggest I've ever seen in what I consider the yard= the yard proper, the lines and trees that ring it, and the roofs of the garages of my 2 neighbours.), it was a welcome site. This crow was going for the pieces of bread that I toss into the yard for them and the squirrels. Crow was all nervous, as he hopped from one roof to another to a fence to a roof to a fence, until, finally, he hopped into the yard rite nest to 2 pieces of bread. He tried to gather them up in his beak, but both wouldn't fit. He gave up and just took the small piece. Then up he flapped and away. I think he was nervous about getting into the yard because it is somewhat of a confined space. I know I written onthis when it wss time to talk of gulls in the yard, but for bigger birds, they need a little bit of space to take off. If a predator appeared, then.............

I like crows for several reasons.
1.Big, black, and beautiful.
2.CAW CAW CAW
3.Smartest animals, by some scientists, after humans. I think their calling card is "only animal to make a tool using a tool."
4.Family birds. Not today, but like Cardnials, they are usually paired up when you see them. Also, a story by scientists about a female crow from a family they were watching who would leave her husband and little ones every friday to fly back to where she was raised to hang out with her family for an hour before going back.. Loved that story. #'s 3 and 4 are both tsaken from the Science Times Book of Birds, which is a collection of stories about birds taken from the NYT's Tuesday section "Science Times". Great read, lots of titbits..........





I had the terrible reality of having a beatutful living thing have its life drain out while holding it- terrible. Still buzzing about the Crow in the yard, i went out to finish my cafe and read another NYT article before making the Trans work Injection (Apollo)when pop on the front window. 99% was- a bird has hit it. 1% was "Fucking kids throwing shit @ the window". It was a little sparrow, yellow in the head, upside down on the ground. This had happened 3-4 years ago, and the bird picked up and flew away. This time no way. I picked him up to save him from cats, and in the space of 45 seconds, his strong heartbeat dissapeared and the hot heat I felt in my had dissapated. Very unhappy. As this bird is, we shall one day become.

1 comment:

czarth said...

winged slyboots:
http://www.spiegel.de/international/spiegel/0,1518,476266,00.html