15 May, 2007

Still it was a good lay...

To-nite, as I'm sure all of y know, is Morrissey Nite in Chicago. Plays @ the Aud @ 8pm, and I'm 95% planning to go.

Iv'e seen him many times now- 2 Smiths, and...... 7-8 solo or so. Although I no longer walk with Morrissey every day, I still love the whole sthicht(sic) and loved being a part of it all. The Smiths were so fucking kool, and I really cherish those days. It was so exciting back then, with a single release here, new B sides there, BBC songs where, and five great LP's (counting 'Hatful' as a real LP-- it was, I think, the best peice of vynal they put out and is one of the toppermost of my faves. It's Sister/Aftermath/Inflammible Material type good. Long days were spent wrestling with the lyrics about bucktoothed girls in Luxembourg. And every 3-4 months came a whole new '45 with a new B-side to ponder lifes complexities over. Viva Youth.

And then came the break up. Hopefully they will be the Beatles and never come back, but we still have Morrissey. This post is specifically about that first single, Suedehead- the greatest of all Morrissey songs. I was going out to South bend to hang out w/ my old lover Orange, and the Southshore line train wasn't ready yet, so i snuck into a bookstop and read the NME's and MMakers, as I did. And, in these pre-internet days, I got the sodden news: it was over for the smiths.

But time goes on. They posthumously released their last LP (The great Strangeways)that sept, and then the following Feb. it was time for Morrisseys first release: the Suedehead '45. I recieved it as a gift from an old friend who was a girl--KacL- the redheaded punk rock girl who was the first female that I ever tried to holler @ . My voice in those days towards girls was something like this: "Say, uh, I, uh, um well, uh, y'know, you, uh, and , uh, um, say, uh..........". She knew what I wanted to say, but girlteens in 1986 are a lot like girladults in 2007= they want a man who decides and acts, not valillatating Virgil hilts. But I learned.......a little. Anyway, 'Suedehead', dropped on us like the Salford Lads Club: instantly we felt that shit, shit that shit, and.........ok, i'll stop: it was killer. But how strange the topic of the song: unlike his previous lyrics up to that point, the singer was now the one saying to the hopeless lover "Stay away from me!!" . But then fade out lyrics, "It was too late, too late, it was too late too late", was classic Morrissey.

Flash to my first Morrissey solo show: The Summer of Long Remember, 1991, where I somehow, for the first and only time in my life, had two girlfrenz @ once*. And they were both @ the same show (good women, both of them.....Jesus has been so good to me to have let me share in the wee bit of these girls lives......bless them both......True.). Morrissey played a great show, hilighted by that greatest of all Morrissey songs, 'Suedehead'. But the talk in the voiture back to the city was stunning: three of the four people I was with heard(not me- I heard what I wanted to hear w/ that song, and I wanted the forelorn Morrissey)the fade out lyrics "Still it was a good lay/good lay/ it was a good lay/good lay". And so it was.

We hear what we want to hear, and sometimes we don't want to let go. But, as I get older and older, I do discover time and time again that it's not too late, and that it was a good lay.

Viva Hate. Viva Morrissey.

*="wait.....two girlfrenz?" --Sudden Sam Malone (corrupted)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Two girlfriends? At a Morrissey show? Shouldn't that be two boyfriends?

Anonymous said...

...if the hole fits, wear it!

Anonymous said...

And id the dress fits/ why can't I wear iT?