23 May, 2007

Haircut 3000

Finally got my hares cut- after a wait of, truly, 5m+. It got done @ Jokers in Bridgeport on the day before the date I originally tried to post this posted above.

I specialize in 2 diff cuts these last, say 15y- the ‘straight cut’, from my barber since 1985, Aldo--and a “shaveontheback and letitlongontop” drop, from my frenz, starting 1987. The styles have long histories.

Aldo’s I‘ve been to since the ‘cut for sister#2’s wedding’ in July of that year. Short n the sides, a little hi’r on top. I looked alright: I knew it was a nice cut. He had a place a bit east on 63d and when the time came and I ‘finally’ needed a responsible cut I’d go to him. Then I’d let my grow worn and rustic and looking really ridiculous -- and go back. He moved to a shop west on 63d past the Central Park tracks and I’ve

The “shaveontheback and letitlongontop” drop was an alternative style of chop; a friend or other would take a electric shaver and best they untrained could, razor off the hair from the ears on down. Instantly it looked cool and was easier to wash and free and best of all, a buddy did it- kool punk rock style. To this day, I have never had a pro cut it this way- why bother / would be the point??

The first of this style to surface was in the ‘87 basement of the old house- five of us trying to get the cut to go in a straight line. As time went on, I had a succession of “do-it-y’self” barbers. Stoi, Scotty Boy, Jackson, and Joker each were barbers for awhile; others, I remember, had their parts to play as well. The last time I had such a cut was……..maybe summer 2002 by Joker. @ that point I’d let my air just really go on top while getting the chop behind. My hair was horrid and wilde and ratty and awful and really needed to go. And the go decision was made by me to return, @ long last: to Aldo’s Responsible Style. It was a desperate attempt to impress an impossible to impress girl. Since then four years ago I’ve kept that style, maybe still trying to impress that girl.

But chance look into a mirror changed that tack. The last time I was @ Aldo’s was really the Last Time- the 63d Street building he moved into in 1987 he was now moving out of. The building was being sold or something, and even gotten dangerous; Aldo had been in the adjoining store when a gun was pulled during the robbery. As I was getting my final cut in this shop, I saw my self in the reflection of a whole new bank of mirrors that were being put in where never there’d been mirrors before. Aldo had, well, basically shaved the back of my head and was just about to cut down the top- what I saw looked good, and I wanted that again. But I’m so timid, and whatever else was the deal, but I didn’t stop him and tell him to leave it except for a little shaping. The moment passed, my hair was cut, and I realized: 4-6m before I could get it again.

However, 4-6m became…..10-12m, and so raggedly did my hair become. It took 5m of correct connexions to be made and remade before finally - finally- it got done. It wasn’t a radical cut, but it was a comfortable fit. Joker’s no pro, but he’s done it enough times. I guess more than any one else he’s handled the chop, so he’s become really proficient. It only took what- 10m- but it was decades off my soul. Perfect job.

So good to get a haircut. My hair, a terrible stress for 3m now (a real worry everyday) suddenly became easy-- FUN even. I play jokes with it like the Sylar episode. Good for me. And I’ll cut it again like this, and maybe even try to get it sculpted this way- Aldo has hinted that he is totally willing to cut some former customers hair @ his crib out in the suburbs. It’d be boss to drive out there and get this properly styled. Maybe after I let it go some more and then Joker cuts it again. We’ll see.

No comments: