29 March, 2007

My life as an Interior Decorator

Many hats do librarians wear. Teacher, researcher, disciplinarian, etc… are the obvious ones. Father-confessor even, but maybe that’s just this librarians job. But the one of interior designer is a hat I have enjoyed. I’ve blathered on about the book displays before (Feb. March). Generally, they take about a day to make up. I gotta search for materials to display among the collection. Then, a covering cloth that matches the display= pink for Women’s History month and blackgreenred for Black history Month. I also used orange and brown for November (Native American Heritage)- these colours are associated with the Pilgrims/Thanksgiving, so I hope it wasn’t offensive. I pile these up near the window and pick through everything until I’m happy with the window. This literally takes a whole day to make up two windows: I set stuff up, go out to the hall to check it, go back into the library to move it an inch, then back out to stare @ the window, then again move stuff another inch.

I’m very vainglorious, so I like to glimpse @ my creations every time I pass in the halls.

I also set up posters, changing them every month (20 posters or so) to match displays. Some are READ posters w/ stars promoting reading (Q always wanted one that REM did. Funny, I could get her one now, if she wanted…), but others are “famous African American scientists” or “famous woman writers” etc. I also create book displays- we’r getting in a whole bunch of new books lately, so I set them up for kids to see.

But wait, there’s more hats to wear. The big project lately is creating posters of kids with their picture, fave books, and quotes about reading. This display is in a prominent area. They are just about done, and they have turned out nice. Don’t get me wrong; I’ve tonnes of artists in many disciplines as frenz and I’m under no thinking that this is a major piece of work. However, the poster boards have tuned out rite, and everyone likes them (nice to get Love from yr co-workers- such a supportive atmosphere this is, which i love). I have to make @ least five more before the end of the year, and these things take a long time to do.

The future projects are on school TV At division each day (a 10m attendence period between 2d & 3d periods each day for official attendance purposes) With my pushing, the media center is going to create commercials for the library. The first are already done, more or less. We’re getting in the hottest shit kids read, the Japanese Manga graphic novels. Kids just are just super loving them. So I had the idea to promote our new order of about 90 of them by thrice repeating the opening riff of “Whole Lotta Love” --the BBC version--and flashing the covers of our new books to the beat. The words “New Manga” and then “Hilts Media Center” will flash over the covers. I like!! But the kids I delegated to make the power point-- two manga/computer freaks-- came to show me what they had, and their work was great!! So the idea now is to make three separate ads with the same ’see our new manga’ message and have one a day shown for the next few weeks. Good idea by me.

But there’s more. We are also going to do live action commercials for different reasons. Highlite our materials in Spanish, Polish, Chinese, and French. Highlight our magazines. Late fee/get those overdue books back so other can use them spiel. And etc… So I am a television commercial director as well. Over spring break I will jazzercise a bit to gum up my head, and then my mind to to come up with some scripts for the commercial. I’ve noticed that if I don’t jenkecise in a while, when I do exercise again, so many real kool, innovative, and jenked ideas come forth. It’s a realgood tool when used rite. I haven’t worked with the teachers in that dept. closely yet, so I need to make sure I don’t step on any toes. It’ll be fun.


Now, interior decorator, television director, writer, producer, etc....these are but a small part of the job, but one I'm liking more and more each day- I hate to write it, but I'm not half bad @ it, its good for the school, the co-workers bit, etc...........

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wait, he's comparing himself to Ranganathan?

Anonymous said...

I say, right good jenkersizes