29 October, 2007

‘A People’s History of the Chicago Danse Floor: House Parties, 1980-2007’ part 5:on the Actions of the Halloween Party, October 2007

Went to the Halloween party I was advertising on the blog and it was ……… well, go ahead and reread the title of this post- y know how it went. I’m mainly gonna write about the dancing aspect, it was a fun dynamic to watch seasoned soldiers going into action secure of the commitment in the flanking bayonets of the unit - this being the Young Guard - and ‘every man w/ a job to do’, if I may so Morrissey. The dancing wait. The down first.

Because the afternoon was characterized by stupendous depression. Very cloudy, from the morning till my manic performance of the nite. I did do some positive shit- all that posted stuff on Saturday here and the Fire thing on dcs were written through it. I wonder if it tells? And then I noticed the manic behaviour of me in the nite- my evening performance- and wondered if this is some sorta bi polar thng-- very subtle, not like, say, Mr. Jamie Fibulee pits of his pendulum- but swingy nonetheless. I suspect, but experts in the field would know better. Jackson?
Finally sagged meself outta bed and fired the Trans Russian Injection. Eventually got down again to Logan Square, changed into Hilts in the parked car, and came in.

Chesterfield and Big Chris have a huge good place residential side rented top floor, they have lots of real quirky and funky people- all fucking types- and they are young men who love to throw parties. I have been to many, but this easily was the best. Best, and I loved it. You do not wonder why - you have read the title, n’est pas? But first- the Young Guard was mustered. Good showing. Soldiers of the highest magnitude. And in their finest battelery for the nite- generally speaking, this crowd LOVES to dress up, and they always make a great deal of it. My Hilts characterization was fine for me but shit these fuxx went to town. Blood, togas, spikes, and a giant soda pop glass.

And there were other things. Teacate beer in the fridge for me to steal ( and eventually vomit up into the bathtub sometime in the second quarter of the Bears loss Sunday afternoon- I promise, then and now that I WILL EVER DRINK AGAIN !!-), smoke machines and whirring lites, and that ephemeral quality that is one of the few things on a very short list that make a party great, least in my context- lots of hot chix. Now I didn’t pursue any or anything- but the female element in a party is always superior to the male 100 of every 100 chances. Or something Napoleonic like that. So many, talkative, fun. Witches, dolls, witches, mice, witches, a plant, and witches. Dragon was there and I tried to support him whenever I could. It was good. Single men out there who did not respond to my entreaties to y to come, I‘ll say it as Rocky did once in 1993: “You lose.”

And there is that over other thing I look so mostly most to in a party- the dancing. I won’y go on too much, but the delivery system that brought women and men twisting on the floor is to be commented upon, and for me : Praised and with deep satisfaction. I was just a part- just a part- but an important part, in many different. It was one of those nites where I did good- I stretched myself, injured in the head the whole weekend and wanting nothing; but spurred to action because I wanted it and it was my duty.

Ingrediants were there. Again, that biggest deal- hot chixx- were in the house. But there was so much more kindling. The crowd was great. Lots of people with lots of Life and they were in Halloween mood- costumes, personas, drinking, funning, etc. Johnny Gunners had the foresight to bring along his I pod chock full of danse shit he specifically ( I bet) chose for the nite. And, again, the hosts- party boys who love life, and hosting a bunch of people in the middle of their crib was of course something to rejoice about- so there was that support. The crib had a great floor to danse on- and they had disco lites and smoke machines. Yes!!

And, I do believe: I wanted to danse. It doesn’t always happen, but this nite I really felt it, really wanted it, recognized the ingredients were there, and felt good about it. It was then that Chartman, knowing the run of the nites battle so far and understanding, I think, knowing my role in times past in junctures similar of parties past, casualed @ me something about maybe dancing could happen that nite. All I needed. I was in my manic fase of the day, and I’d just had seconded the same thoughts that were obviousing themselves already inside my head.

Gunns had brought his Ipod. This day was a sad day for me, whatever, and I was in NO MOOD TO D.J. (((It must be noted here that the official Christ Figure of the Security Out blog, Hilts, DID in fact bring a selection of CD’s if in case it was needed, but Gunns was loaded and showing off. Not every song, y’know, but fantastic. Done well to the 90th m and beyond.))) I knew I didn’t wanna do it ((as well as stepping on Gunns toes since he had obv. asked already asked Chesterfield if he could do it- rude)), but after Chartman’s spur I went to Gunns and paraphrased “Alrite, Charts and I are of a line of thought, and this line of though this nite is putting you on military duty- get ready to play yr part ‘cause were gonna try it.”

Digress on his On- ness?? Here =
Gunner made a wondrous observation in the middle of the whole mess. There came a particular time when the people left the floor- an hour of dancing had gone by, but its ok to have a clear floor in the course of the nite- it happens. Gunns threw something on (forget) with the words “All rite, time to reconstitute the danse floor.” And yes, by the time the pop blast ended, there were ten on the floor. So Listen: it was Guns with input from (another pro do) Vampire (well, maybe better-appelled Satan this nite) that did all the musical decisions, not me. I only opinioned 2/3rds way in “More accessible stuff”. Dunno/nay remember if this advice was taken. No matter (Don’t fuckin’ hassle the d.j. !!”) He was prepared and good.

But to start up a danse- y dunno, it could just be flat and no one would dig it. First order of official business was to take the host out of the music choosing business. He was discussing w/ Gunns choices, and I walked over and told him to let be Gunned tonite. He knew and trusted, and that was it until Gunns gone bye bye. He knew.

Then I quite frankly told Gunns to hold fire for 20-30 m. Right time of nite, y know, but really I was feeling the fear. I didn't feel it fully @ this moment. One goes out on a limb when attempting to vivify a situation- and there’s fear y mite fail. But this nite support was evident. It was during this warming period of mine that I was really not needed @ all to start a danse floor- I was reduced to a spectator in the decision to danse. It was the bulk of the Young Guard themselves, irregardless of me and feelin’ it themselves, were- not dancing, out and out- but moving, and moving, and moving, and more; expression of a collective good will. All of them, splayed @ strategic spots, all moving- just a bit, now- to fix a flow to the appointed danse area. Also, dinna ferget, the disco lites and the smoke machines. These movements, taken to-gether and overtime, and steady- resulted in more and ore peole trsking the plunge and decideing to danse. It was fun.

This to me was the lesson of the nite. Everyone in the Guard, in this delicate spot, working to-gether, collectively got what we wanted. We wanted to danse. And we were snarky, in a way, maybe- we really did foster up some conditions just by deciding to foster them up- but sometimes, that’s just the way.

Unit citation, the Young Guard,
Actions of the nite of 27 October, 2007,
Halloween Battle of 2007.


I was emboldened, seeing the teamwork, knowing the duty, knowing I can be Devin Hester in these situations if I just let myself kick it the ball to myself, and I………Got it done. I’d like to think its not just my usual Delusions of Grandeur that lets me write that I feel I played a large role in my frentic returns from the porch by supplying enough energy to get everybody to the next level of out and out Dansing! Leave me to my myth. And the drink. That helped. We were just all dancing, and the those not in out gurd unit joined us in properly celebrating Life. Very soon, bunches were dancing. Manic me, darting in and out, joyous. And yes, most importantly, lots of babes, shaking.
"Contact Lite."
"Engine Stop"
"Engine arm off"
"Chicago, Tranquility Base here. Hilts has landed."

It lasted for 3 hours, ebbed and flowed, and finally bleed dry in the earliness of the AM. The major actions of the nite of 27- 28 October, 2007, in The Halloween Battle of 2007- ended around 0400h. The Peter Strasser pulled out, Hilts (nom de war and disuised as such as well this nite) captained it South starting @ 0500h.

This nite. Many positives, few negatives, who knows though. I didn’t see me vomiting into a bathtub the next afternoon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey hiltsy - it was good to see you at the party man! seriously though, we should get together more often. you n me and strasser, kicking down the avenues, some cassettes...ah, good times.