12 October, 2007

Lets talk religion

Since we are on the subject, (and this is neither a response post nor a long thoughtful one to the ones that have gone on before) of religion: I wanted to note how much effort when was put into saving our souls when we arer young. We had t be in a "state of grace" when we died= that means we had to have no unconfessed MORTAL sins on our soul when we died. That's it= go to confession on yr death bed, go to heaven. We had a priest - Fr. Nite (my second love was his neice- from 1st through about 15th grade, she was a special redhead for me. Then I got an orange head and then a bottle red head, and .............)- who would come into our grammer school classrooms and drone on about whatever- religion based stuff - for an hour. Then he took questions from the kids.
I got to be very famous as a questioner.
Like: Jesus never sinned? What about his tempertantrum in the temple w/ the money changers?? (My own thoughts, years ago- I've heard them since repeated, but @ the time i knew it was original to me- i'm proud, sorry!!)
Like: Say? Whats the deal with the church and gay people? If God made everybody, he obviously made them as well. Did She fuck up on this?? This line of questioning got this remark from my 8th grade teacher on the veryeve of another Fr. Nite visit : "And Hilts: no more questions about gay people."
and Like: So- if all we needed on our deathbeds was a confession, does that mean Hilter could be in Heaven?
Much later- well, adulthood- I realised that being in a state of grace is wonderful, but its the actions that get us in the state of grace thtat are important. Since God is watching all the time, so the theory goes, doesn't that mean that if I was way kool for all my life, but fucked up once - rite before I died and didn't get a chance to go to confession- does that mea HELL to me?? And Hitler? That fuck would be someone who deserves hell, rite?? But he could be hanging w/ Gabriel if he got that confessio in on time?
Yes, there's more to it than that. I like Jesus. Commie leveller.
the trail

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The "temper tantrum" in the temple? You consider that a sin? You are proud of that question? You really need to figure out what you believe. "Yeah, I'm Freak, the Catholic Marxist but that was really unseemly the way Jesus chased the money-changers out of the temple." That was Jesus' best moment which of course led directly to his murder.

Dread Pirate Jessica said...

Yes, but it was the weakest moment in 'Jesus Christ Superstar'.

Anonymous said...

My Son:
Do not let the Pharasee's and the Sagisee's stop you from following The Plan I have set out for you.