05 October, 2007

farms end

So, I finally got my camera, and here are some test snaps. Well, a bit more than just test snaps: I've wanted to document my garden for awhile in all its glory; but now in October it's essentially spent.

Brussel Sprouts

There is one exception: the brussel sprouts. I seeded them longtemps ago, and they have yet to produce enough to be harvested- I can wait until after the frost, whenever it comes, before I need to start the culling process.

Sprouts do not naturally look like the ones in the picture. The sprouts grow rite above where the leaf structure touches the stem. The farmer has to progressively snap off each leave structure to allow the sprout room to grow- otherwise it's too cramped a space for it. Take a look at the plants- those clumps growing out of the stem structure are the edibles. I have four different plants. The one to the rite has been the sunny sided strong one all summer- I could cull it now, but I want to do it all ensemble.

Cucumbers

There are still some on the vine. More than any other veggie I grew this year, I've enjoyed these the best. Gf has her balsimic recipe for them that tastes great, and we've rocked that a lot this season.

I wasn't going to seed them, either. Sometime over the summer I found old seeds of mine, and planted three of them. One took, and I transplanted it mid summer. I have always used my neighbours fence for plant-support, so mainly the cukes have grown through and twisted about the fence. However, after visiting Vito's house over the summer and seeing his Dads setup, I realised that I could also string them up and let them grow along the string/rope. Shown is one such- small still, but it will grow over the next few days.

I haven't hit upon the tomatoes and beans, but I will when I have time and better snaps.