24 October, 2007

The New York Times

Slothful I am, and addledminded to das boot, but lately I have been terrible deficifient in my reading of the NYT. I had well publisized troubles reading over summer, but this continues: unitl today, I was stuck on last wednesdays paper- no Thursday, Friday, Monmday, or tuesady (and I left for school before todays arrived). However, sometimes.........

first: kool article on the moon and corals and sex...

second: I subscribe to the NYT from time to time when they have - and they always do- a 50% sale - for so many month (plus, an extra 4 weeks if you pay by card !!!- hey hey !!). So, i did that subscription for a few times, always cancelling when I had to pay full price. However, once the person on the fone said : "Wait- let me check with my manager and see if we can extend yr subscription @ that rate for another few months." Then, after a minute, they said "We can extend the rate for another 4m". So, I now know, since this has played out three more times in the past year, that I will always get the NYT for the 1/2 priced deal as long as I call up, say there is no no no way that I can afford the paper, they go off for a minute (my guess is is that they put me on hold for the minute and play with their hair), and then say "I just talked to the manager and they said thatb it's a go to giving you another 4m @ the same rate....".
third: I did my job 101% today, but sometimes the life of a sub. is totally easy. I had a drafting class to direct, and they were all totally well behaved and working. I used it as an opportunity to catch up on my reading. Now that sounds terrible: a teacher using the day to 'catch up on his reading'- but anything else would have distracted the kids from their work.
Now other days it can get crazy- I've had to cover two classes @ once several times, and othertimes the kids can get crazy- but not today. I'm so far behind in reading the papaer- we get three @ my house, but the two local ones are nothing more than glorified sports sections to me (unless there is a Kamin or roeper article). However, my (again) well self publisized troubles w/ reading this year means I'm constantly reading yeaterdays NYT- never todays. This last 10 days I've really gotten behind- but I read THURSDAYS and FRIDAYS and am 1/2 way through MONDAYS. Why do I even bother?

1 comment:

Dread Pirate Jessica said...

Oh fuck, the NYT didn't edit out that stupid, stupid IHT paragraph about goddamn fucking "Moonstruck", or vice versa. Retch retch retch retch retch.