20 June, 2008

working

Had the unexpected joy to get a call from the school yesterday to come in and sub. I didn't think that I'd get much work this summer, but even a day a week would be great.

However, to this nite owl, it was rough to wake up. Frenz know I'm the ultimate nite owl, and the usual 'August's End' includes me waking up @ 2pm and going to sleep @ 7am. So, it was a stretch to wake up for school today. They say Churchill and Hitler were both late risers. And what about Jesus? It took him THREE days to rise (though his sleep was a bit more deep than mine).

Got in, said hello to friendly faces, and appreciated that I was here. However, summer school is a lot different. It consists of one long 4h period. I taught it as a sub many summers ago - one teacher missed a lot of time, and I was #1 sub - so I got into the rhythm of it. The kids have to take the class - 4h a day, 3 1/2 weeks - to make up for a whole semester credit (Or half credit -one semester is 1/2 a credit) during the regular year.

So- it's impossible to cover a whole regular semesters work in 3 1/2 weeks - so you concentrate. If I ever was able to be a regular teacher of summer school in History, I would be able to concentrate on a single subject - say, WW2 - and teach that silly for the 3 1/2 weeks. I'd love it. But, still ; gotta get hired by some school first.

Looked @ the open Library jobs as well. A special Ed school is advertising for one, and through I do not have a special ed licence, I will definitely apply.
Then, next year, the Rise and Fall of the Third Reich (with special emphasis on ground operations in the N.W European Theatre, naval battles of Guadalcanal, the bombing campaign, etc etc etc...) will be taught in the summer.

Today, summer school. To -morrow, the vorld.

No comments: