02 June, 2008

same place, a dozen of hours later

Was on Navy Pier twice in twice days this wkd. First was Prom. I always like the big danse to go to so I did - later than I'd wanted, and parkd way far away in a free and open zone. My parking space and the fact that prom was @ the outer edge of the pier meant that I mita walked - 3m round trip or so. Beats paying $23, I felt. Late, jaggered, juagernauted, stalemated, spaceless, space case, I finally walked into this scence - a giant ballroom (yes, yes, the lites in the ceiling), massive amounts of kids and tables and music and dansing - a nice scene. I was shy, like I can be, so I stood on the corners for a bit before finally locating teacher concentrations. I'd wanted to stay only a bit, but ended up 'closing' prom - midnite.

Funest? Of ourse, it was the young teachers dansing - lead steadfastedly by my fellow soccer coach. In a dress. She was pulling out others to danse. I liked that they were dansing, but i was sitting @ the older teachers table. Despite talk of shit back in the day out till 6am @ the club , when an old song was spun and movement was made to go on the floor, there was no movement. I finally felt it later, but not really. Not too many teachers again this year - should be more , but that's the deal. Some - -who were there last year didn't show up this year. But this years ball seemed a lot better. Last years was 2 the Museum of Science and Industry, and it was all spread out. This years was in a more proper ballroom - and a better enviroment for a party this big. It was fun, but I was glad when it ended - security (my buddies) had to go up on stage and turn off the dj's machine. just past the witching hour, me scrambling off that rock and wood structure 3/4 m out intot he lake. Winding corridors ending in carways and darkend places

Long walk back to the car.
detour'd long then rode long home.
Reading, Reggie Jaxx, Jagger, Jenke.
Jabble.

Eventual sleeping and eventual waking.



And into Strasser for a return fucking trip to the almost exact edge of the exact same pier 10h after I left it last. Again, school related - this time a massive job fair, me loking for what I really would love - a job!! It was a late nite for me, and although I'd gotten enough sleep, I didn't trust myself to wanna interview @ all. These job fairs - there will be two more before next year -are sorta like those three minute blind dating events -instead of three minutes trying to impress a perspective date again and again and again for 2h, I stood in line trying to impress a perspective employer for three minutes again and again and again for 2h.

There are few jobs available for HS librarians each year. I have some leads from schools that we not @ the job fair already, and the fair added 5-6 more places I will send in my resume. All tough schools. The leads I had alrady were for really nice city schools. But I'll work anywhere.

There are two ways to get names from these job fairs. When you walk in, they have preprinted Excell type sheets that tell you what schools are looking for what positions. Since I was feeling grubby from the nite beforte, I had wanted to grab one of these sheets and split. But when I was in the fair, I figgered I'd sit down w/ four schools and say hello. Again, they were 2-3m mini interviews. I don't think I hurt myself, and I do hope I helped myself.

Long walk back to the subway. I's parked rite around 22d and the El stop, and figgered it'd be a quick walk to Navy pier in the morning. However, that subway tunnel was closed for the wkd for repairs, so my El train had to take the elevated line- meaning off @ Sate and Lake, and add 1/2 a mile to my walk. Worse things in life.

Another thing about in the heavolt tourist part of Chicago in the summer - I always like to see the visiter from Germany and Japan and elsewhere siteseeing. It's always funny, I guess, for people living in a tourist area. In London or Paris or the Aran Islands - touristfull areas - it must be much more of a site. I like tourists.

No comments: