06 June, 2008

My brother

St. Christina has three weekday morning masses, and I almost never go to them. Today i went to the 7.30am - it was a mass that had as its special intentions my Dad and my brother. I'm not sure who pays for it - my Mom, my sisters, etc =- but they hold this mass once a year and It's usually during school -so I never go. However, today's I could make - these masses are over quick -1/2h or so to get the people on their way - so I knew i'd be able to make it to school on time.

These types of masses are important for Catholics. The Faith has it that masses said for people's souls takes time off of the time they have to do in "Purgatory". Purgatory is an OK place -it means after you die, you ain't going to hell - you've been saved - but you still have to wait for a bit in purgatory to burn off some punishment for the sins that you did do.

My bro died when he was six. My Dad died @ 84. My bro obviously never sinned, but I still keep him in my prayers. My Dad / he was an adult, so I'm sure he did some fucked up stuff - but I have loads of faith in that guy, so i'm sure he's ok as well. Yes, I know that this is part of what Martin Luther raged against - paying the church to take time off of souls stays in purgatory - but...

Code name Paul asked me to keep his neice in my prayers. Also prayed for Mom and Gf, my nieces and nephews, sisters and husbands, frenz, the people I work with, my soccer girls and all the students @ my school, and for the souls of my ancestors. And Dad and Bro. And Sister, son, and 2 neices that were lost before they were ever born.

Other prayers? There is an old Catholic superstition that the first time you enter a church you have never been in, say 10 "Hail Mary's:" and ten "Our Fathers" and your wish will come true. I always do and and pray for .....well, generally, the list above.

By the way - I'm not some super religios guy. I'm really not. But, as you know, i'm enjoying the flow of it recently.

And do take notice - you were included in the prayers this morning.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Last night I watched "Jesus of Montreal". Haven't seen it in a while but always had fond memories of it. If you get a chance, see it. Except for the cheesy eighties synth rock, the movie holds up.

Hilts said...

Khan always loved it bigtimes. She always wanted me to watch it also, but she had that sorta pushy push style that sometimes turned people left.

However, she loved it so much, I did give it a try. Lasted a few a minutes , but I didn't like it..... rthat time.

Again however, i will trry it again. I know I''lll like it.