05 June, 2008

A Librarian in June

School is veritably ending soon, and I have professionally switched into a different mode. I basically did two things all day. One was scour the stacks seeking lost books after Phase One of our inventory.

We have about 35k books and materials in this school, and for the past three weeks we have been scanning each one's barcode into the central system. Long and boring job - one book after another pulled, scanned, and put back.

This was competed yesterday: and we now have a list of 2k books that needs to be made sure that they are not on the shelf. So, w/ the list of 300's and 400's, I went to those sections, found many not scanned, and did not find even more (stolen?). So, all day I went through the stacks, looking for books, and every 20 on the list or so I pulle done back. Person who scanned them originally messed up, or maybeit was the computer. Dunno.

It is also "Get back the books" time. So, during a class change, when the halls are crowded w/ kids crossing this way and that for class and lunch and social hour, and - just like the Monty Pythin "Bring out your dead" crier, I wander the locker sections shouting out "ANYONE GOT LIBRARY BOOKS THEY WANT TO RETURN? I'M RITE HERE, NO BIG DEAL, JUST HAND THEM TO ME". And, wouldn't you know it, suddenly I have kids running after me w/ books that were due 5m ago. One of my soccer girls? Don't worry, I'll take care of that fine."

Things haven't started to fall apart yet, even though there is now 4 days for the kids left.

No comments: