11 June, 2008

hoe

It comes in time, but when something new finally makes its true use known............... well, I dunno where this sentence is going, besides to announce this to the world:

HOE!!!


Hoe, as in farming implement. I was teaching the agricultural revolution a decade ago and remember how the class broke up whren I was stressing the importance of hoe's and other tools in this revolutuion. However, it was experience that has tought me the true, secret gnostic use of the hoe. No, just lying - it's not a secret- just felt 'gnostic' followed 'secret' best correctly, so I followed myself.

But -the hoe.


I always used it more as a rake, but yesterday I used it's side -a sharp point- to dig, and lo and behold a ditch appeared, and very simply. I'd always been a huge lover of the three pronger pitchfork (well, a pitchfork is more for throwing hay -this three pronged tool is for turning soil) and used it @ all attempts. before that, I was in love with the spade - my Uncle Pete, a farmer pure and simple and only stained by 10 years of city life in America- told me I was a good spade man when I whelped w/ the spuds on his farm.

But -the hoe.

I used it because w/ my fencing up, it's a pain to clamber over it to weed the garden. The hoe is attached to a long pole (well, like a broom pole) and makes it easy to reach over and chop @ the weeds. Then I realised that -shit -this really makes ridge making easy.

So - the hoe suddenly made my garden full of ridges and upraise parts - the better for the air to get into the siol, I believe.

Plus -makes it look better.


Picture to follow in a week or six.


It really carved up the soil

No comments: