12 January, 2008

Horror and other: a recitation of Fridays events that ended in a real horrifying scene.

SCHOOL
Spent a hectic days racing all around the school getting things done. Many disasters, many things rite. In addition to all else, I had to get the classes ready for a substitute for the substitute (me) because I'm finally taking a day off this year- but w/ good reason: an interview !! One of the few times I was in the lib. this week and a school called w/ these happy tidings. I have it Monday. I have been interviewd/turned down before, but that was before I had any experience. And yes, I will calm myself for the interview and not act excited. We'll see.
BASKETBALL!!!
Then: I've mentioned my schools BB team is pretty good, so I have made a point of checking them out. Frdays game was supposed to be a big showdown w/ the other good team in the conference, but when I got there @ the half, it was us up by 25 or so. One could see the other team was good, but as another teacher watching said: "hey- it's a just a game the other team came out flat." I noticed today that #6 Farragut is hosting #2 Marshall on Tuesday......Hmmmmmmmm. I'm going !!!
TIP AND RUN RAIDS
In World War One the German Navy, called the ' High Seas Fleet ', was bottled up by the Royal Navy's ' Grand Fleet ' from ever getting out of the North Sea and into the High Seas by the 'Grand Fleet's being based way north of even Scotland in the anchorage of Scapa Flow. However, the Germans realized that although their enemy's choice of base declined them an easy chance to breakout into the ocean, it also disallows the Grand Fleet from reacting in time to German shelling missions of English coastal towns along the North Sea. The Germans would send their fast capital ships, called battle cruisers, and shell these coastal towns fierce and then split up out of there before any of the English heavies could show up to counter them.
In much the same way, I weighed anchor, sped north, raked the Russian coast rightfully, then tipped south again. One of my favourite signals in wartime history came to mind regarding my performance of this seemingly necessary but also very ravagening task. In one of the battles where the English were finally able to catch up with the Germans (( it happened only two or three or four times, and shells were savegely exchanged only twice - I think- between capital ships - Dogger Bank and Jutland )), the older Invincible needed to keep up with the rest of it's fleet. As the English fleet pushed their speed up knot by knot in the chase and Invincible's stokers kept pace shovelfull of coal after shovel full of coal into the burners (think the engine room scences in "Titanic"), Admiral Beatty hoisted "Well steamed Invincible" flags on the lanyards. I must amit, the greatest signal in wartime history for me is still Jutlands "Fleet action is imminent" : I mean come on, how could anybody top that shit??? Fleet action is imminant??? Fuck, man! And especially if you knew the deep context embodied in this message that was shatteringly exciting when it was recieved. But, on that, we wait till the the Jutland post. Sorry, but to quote Mick and Keith : "Call me Lazy Bones".............. (Of interest...). However, to repeat, the point of all this history is my own little tip and run culled my own accolades of "Well steamed Strasser" signals gone mad.
LANIGANS
Gf came over, we watched a bit of politics on channel 11 and then a tapes of last nite's Betty la Fea program on the telly. Ate. Enjoyed. Then we went to lannies for a few. Very late we left- 11.30 and after we arrived. lots and lots of regulars. The Walkers. Army Medixx. Used to be a Long Hair. J.D. who calls me "Woods". Murphy's and Soaps. And Cyclops and one of his girlfriends. Been a few weeks since the last disaster being out w/ them. Didn't know they were up there, but the results the same. Evuh?
DISASTER
But the real disaster happened when we fixed outta there. We'd parked rite outside the place, and as we were getting into the car on 111th, there was a car crash on Kedzie, a perpindicular street only a half block away. It took awhile for us to get into the car and started and belted and ready to go, but there must have been 5 squads there in those 2-3m. Lanigans is rite across from a fire station, so some guy in those 2-3m ran to it chased by an unmarked car- they thought he was guilty of something, but he was just trying to get the paramedics out there quickly. Cops realised that. We then went by the scence, and I gotta tell you it was a terror. There was two motionless bodies strewn in the street- it was freezing, and these two were in t shirts and...............they had to be dead. there was a mini van on its side, and another car had damage. I have a feeling that cops mita been chasing somebody. I don't know. It was horrible, but............drive safely.

No comments: