17 January, 2008

Persuasion '95

We didn't finish it, but finally got GF in front of a screen and this film on it. We watched half of it, and even though I haven't seen it fully through, I'm surprised how superior it is to the '08 one. And I liked that one.

I will break my habit of not ruining plots and stuff. It's an Auestin book that's been around for what- 250 years or so?? And how many movies??

First- when I first saw it, I was filled with the 'joys' of unrequited Love. Which Femme was I bonkers over who didn't know I existed back then?? Couldn't tell you, but I can tell you that there was one or two. Oh, I know- it was Spanky. I'm pretty sure she was it, and out 12 day thing was over except for another year in my heart. I'm sure it was her. But, having been spoonfed so much Morrissey in my formative years, 'unrequited' was considered..................I'm such a weakling............

Second: The change in Anne. She's presented as such a dowdy thing @ the beginning, but as the movie goes on, she visibly becomes more beautiful. I know it's a lot to do w/ makeup, but it's one of my favourite acting jobs as well. Well done, Cairan Hinds.

Third: Wentworth. Obviously he is presented as a man of great strenght- a hero in war. But the hurting that Anne has put in his head, and how the movies lets us see his condition, is wonderful. I always liked the power of Love and how it effects people. The power of Anne over Wentworth (and other way about as well) Again, one of my favourite acting jobs, and in the same film as Mandy Roots performance.

And, Gallo, I was saving the chick w/ douche bag pic for this post. I looked for a better, but............you bet.

No comments: