10 January, 2008

This a Catholic pacifist writing here....

.....but what the fuck was the U.S. commander of those ships in the Persian Gulf thinking?? Swear to God, if I was the captain of the American ship, streams of molten metal from the gatling guns and the .50's would have sunk those boats instantly when they were ranged.

Again, I'm speaking as a ........what, a pretend Navy man? But knowing a little of military tactics, those boats were so in range and seemed dangerous that I would have thought that they were definite targets. Now I'm not saying that the US should go all over the world and provoke whatever--and this may have been a total Tomkin type trick by our government = but if the reports are true, I'm deeply surprised that the captain didn't open up.

However, there is the lesson of Tomkin.

2 comments:

Dread Pirate Jessica said...

The Strait of Hormuz is too crowded for an incident like that to get even a little Tonkin-esque, no matter how much anybody would have liked it to.

Besides, the US military has such a history of auspicious fuck-ups in that tiny little stretch of water (Iran Air, Japanese tanker) - where the legality of its presence could be called into question - that I bet any ships there are under strict instructions to do absolutely nothing at all times, except look tough.

My guess is the incident was all about the Iranians demonstrating that. Or else about liquor and a dare.

Hilts said...

Think yr rite. So many tankers- and, I guess, speedboats and frigates.

I loved the deep voice that was saying "We are coming to blow you up". I have to get him to run the mike if I ever get married.