12 January, 2008

Deathnote, Sopranos, Heros, and Lost

Somehow managed.......................to forget deathnote #6 and #7 @ school. Thought about driving to collect thrm, but didn't wanna go and find the school locked up. Idioto!!

However, what of deathnote #5, which I'm just about finished? Well, quite frankly, not as good as its precursors. The first four were centralised around he showdown betwixt Light and L. I have a feeling that they took that confrontation as far as it could go, and now they have totally totally and totally changed the dynamic. That deep excitement of the beginnings has now changed into soomethig else.

It reminds me of what Big John once said about Sopranos. That first season, and even a little later, the show changed from the original story to a more drawn out "What are they doing now?" type deal (Gunners theory- he should explain it in full, as I'm sure i'm doing it less than its just...). And I can't apply this thoery to Death note 's later issues- locked up in school.

Which brings us to Heros and Lost. Again, that noticable loss of whatever in the second season of both telly programs. I love both, and I'm not gonna claim 'holier than thou' status since I came upon both halfway through their first season- but I had taped a lot of the shows ans got healthy doses of heavy repeats, so by the 2/3 sopt of these shows rookie years, they both were driving me NUTS!! Especially Lost, but hero's fucking rules OK as well.

They have been tepidized it seems, but Lost - I think- has broken out of the rut. That first season was one mind blowing episode after another. Each one an incredible unveloping of......I dunno, but I loved it. The pentumilate show that first season had such a shocking and wonderful ending, it could only be topped by the actual ending of the season ending two hour show. And fucking hell it that ending wasn't......................Ok, I'll use mind blowing yet again. So good.


Second season opened up with a great and shocking episode every bit as good as the first season.......but that was it. The whole season, like the '86 Bears, the '99 Fire, or the '06 Sox, was just missing.............. something. Then season three- I just stayed outtta loyality, as it rarely kept muy interest....................until...................well, first this: before the final episode of that thirdt season, the people @ Lost did somethig that was a genius move: they announce that Lost was gonna be finate: three more seasons, and that's it. It was a great move, because it tells us all that it will end and no sharks- hopefully- will be jumping and also assures the writers and actors and all that that they will get to leave and explore other options/roles.


But most importantly= those last two or three minutes of the season #3 ender = oh, they are so smart, so damn smart, and if I think they will carry all the way through and-- well, change the dynamic -- and that's all rite. This is my slite post from the finale. Clever me.


So, Lost is starting again, and hoefully its good. three more years, like 51 more episodes. Hopefully it'll be written up good. It'd be nice. Now, lets hope Heros can buff up again as well.

No comments: