04 January, 2008

Darger time this 18 January- let's go !!

Once again, it's Henry Darger time (also here). He's a Chiago artist- dead these 35 years now- who lived in Lincoln Park when it was a slumish type 'hood (even I am old enough to remember some of Lincoln Parks 'less than what it is now' days growing up- no rememberence of Odt Town like that, though it was as well...). Until he became too old to make it up the steps of his apt's 2d floor and was moved into assisted living, he spent much of his days creating huge and hugely strange works of art. He is shelved into the "Outsider Art" hole where artits are not classically trained but create loads of art are put- Martin Ramirez would be another example who has been in th news a lot these last two years or so.

Dargers subject matter was very crazy. He wrote what I believe to be the longest book ever writen - it's 35,000pages, both sides, single lines. It was on.......well, I think it was on........ a great war between evil men and little girls...........and these little girls sometimes had boys bodies, or maybe they didn't.......and..........fuck,just read the wiki shit on him, I can't explain.

His visual art was ceated a lot of different ways. He made illustrations for the book, and that's a lot of what is considered his "Art" nowadays. He didn't so much as draw freehand as trace images from stuff he cut out of Sears catalogs and other advertisements.

The image of Drager I have is a nebblish little man who kept miticioulous weather journels and bundles of twine and empty bottles in his crib. Reports to us that he was seen looting through garbage cans looking for his bits of sting reminds me a little of........myself.........

Anyway, his is such a strange story I've always been attracted to it. The big place to see his shit in Chicago is the Intuit Museum. I write this because they are having dual openings on the 18th- th new Darger room and an exhibit on mug shots or something. GF and I are going. Consider yrself invited- it's 5-8pm on the 18th. Free cheese and wine. Plus Blackies old workmate Suave will be there- he's a serial 'opener jumper'; always @ the openings, always the white shirt and no tie, always w/ some exotic chick.........plus, I wonder: will Julie Delphy be there?
The exhibit should be really cool. They have redone his crowded workspace in his old apartment. Should be super interesting- I've been aware of this and have been waiting for it. My time has come.

I will. Show up. Email exhortiants to follow.

2 comments:

Baywatch said...

fuck dude. i am so there with no pants. you me and barack. ok?

Hilts said...

Are you going to the opening??