02 January, 2008

Context is Everything/ Oldies as Newies

One could be silly filly about a song, having been reared on it and its types since diapers. But then, in another context, you hear it again and it's supreme.
Two examples, Spring of 1988.
I date this first song to the 1960's and my consciousness, but my present feeling towards this song- to use jesusquotes, if my kingdom was of this Earth, my subjects would be fighting for me as we speak - meaning this song is a fight worthysong to me nowadays- dates to 1988 spring, and rocky's "Millions of Oldies" tapes. properly preparez-vous, one never knows how a song will take in yr brain

And the funny thing is, until a few minutes ago, I assumed this was an all African American group with one half of a lead voacls sung by a female. Disabused.
The next song was April, in my waning days of university (and shit, those Mars, April, and Mai days of 1988, that graduation thing and the leaving of university life was a fuckin' deathnote following me aound. I got past it, but those days....my mind.............. I can only say, that I felt like Jesus in those days, but faced the upcoming crucifixion of graduation and leaving it all behind.......wait, graduate school!!!!!). But, w' probably less than a month left, Rocky got a mix tape from somewhere that stated that before one listened to it, one must read the Book Of Matthew (Jenke) before listening. On my idea, Crankface, Rocky, and Tall Dead Boy came over to my floor on Mertz w/ Jacksons borrowed plastique , and we all met @ K's single room. We talked, unwrapped tapes and machines, looked out the window, and finally hit "PLAY" on this shit. OWW!!

5 comments:

Baywatch said...

those were good kixx.

said rocky.

i wonder who that tape was from.

did you put this on plan A?

Hilts said...

verbatim. The point of it was A.

could have been any of yr hs frenz, but Methnks it has the touch of the present day Kansas about it. Don'y know fer sure.

The cave follows, but i need yr scanner. i need to stop by to say hello to little life

Baywatch said...

come on by, brother man.

Baywatch said...

kansas is probably right.
most likely McWhirter.

Hilts said...

oh, and by the way, the floor in the castaways clip is what we'd hoped for in the 29th december party of dragon's and mine.