10 January, 2008

basketball days

Visited an old school- the school I lost my job @ several years ago- to watch my present schools BBall team play them and to visit old frenz. It was good. My school won 89-12 (that's a basketball score, y'all) and i got to say hello to 40 or so people.

First, the basketball. End of first quater, it was 34-3, and ALL of the superstars on the team sat for the rest of the day. I've said it before, but its important for a teacher to be seen @ the after school events. I try to make it to least one game from each squad- usually i'm @ 50%. It was nice that one of the players called me out in the hall and asked if I used to teach @ that school- it was his way of saying "hey- saw you traveled for one of our games- I saw you there" However, high school hoops and I go back a long time. This is neither the place/time to go into it, but in the mid ninties I averaged 70 HS BB games a season. Seventy. I just could not miss a Farragut, Fenwick, Thorton, or Whitney Young game back in the day, and would often see a public league game in the afternoon and then see a Catholic league game @ nite twice a week. It was fun being young.

But nowadays, the only games I see are ones involving my school. And this year, we got a pertty good team. Not quite Farragut 1994-5, but loads of talent.

And one talent in particular. And he's in grade............9 (meaning three more years of this young man being here- and he'll grow!!). Spectacular - just wait till y see him- and those who like BBalll- he's great!

Also hung out for a bit w/ my old soccer team. The boys spotted me first. It's nice to walk into a gym during the game and have 15 boys shout yr name. It's nice being liked. Got to talk to 2 of the 3 coaches. I think I'm gonna be involved this spring w/ the team- wait- I have an interview coming up, so maybe not- and it would be fun to play the old school.

I've said it before, but I rally miss being part of that soccer program, draining as it is.

No comments: