09 January, 2008

Yes to read Deathnote 4......and 5........and 6..........

So, finally, got to Deathnote 4. Deathnote is a manga series of graphic novels- comic books - from Japan in which a Japanese boy stumbles upon a 'death note' dropped in the human world by a shimigami. A shimigami?? An otherworldly creature that kills humans via the deathnote. Why do they kill humans? because........well, not for fun....I think because it is their job....or something....... but a death note is, well, a notebook that when ones name is written in it........one dies (w/in certain conditions, but...). So, a shimigami - Ryuk is his name in this particular book- drops his death note into our world and Light- the boy- finds it and starts to use it. He has a plan- to rid the world of all of the bad people and make sure people do good in the future.

The whole crix of the series rite now= @ this juncture, i'm into #4- is the police trying to find out and stop Light from killing even more people. They bring in a guy called L. , who is the counterpoint to Light. L., like Light, is a supersmart logic type who sets up a bunch of traps for L. It's hard to explain, but I've totally fallen inlove with this series.

I started this on Deathnote #3. I was asked by two different people to check it out. Then #2. Then #1. Finally Monday, I got to #4. I read that yeasterday, and lo and behold= totady I also got #5 and #6. Yes: I will be reading these books....................this weekend. Although it is translated into English quite nicely, I think that I want to wait until I read the version that has been starined through Russian........i.y.k.w.i.m.........

I will not buy these books, but will wait till my library gets them. Since I have presidential powers in this school (vis-a-vis library books) I can track the copies of the book down. So, I'll wait for #7 OR #8 when it comes out- and not sit in borders for a few hours to read them for free there.

And a last note on deathnote. There is a final. In a lot of manga, the story seems to just go on and on. But Deathnote stops @ issue #12 - or episode #108, if I use the Japanese system. This series teeters so heavy each issue, I really wonder how they can keep this up- or, rather, how they DID keep it up.

I know I know I know.............but I love it.

No comments: