05 September, 2007

Willfully blind

So, Morrissey is gay- who would have thought?? One of the best things about that Morrissey bio I read is the discussion of his sex life. Well, no frank discussions, but yes he's gay. My huge connexion to Morrissey is that Smiths period. Back then, in hs and just starting college, I really had no big dealing with gay people ( as far as I knew), so when it was written or discussed that Morrissey liked boys, I always said- "Nah- It can't be- he's never said anything like that". But, of course, I had just been toO inexperienced to read between the lines.

However, older and wiser now, it's pretty obvious. However, since the writer of the book has--well, written a book on Morrissey, it's interesting to see the stages of his solo career and how far out of the closet he comes. I have written before about his career- here are three ( 1 2 and most importantly 3) that I can find.

It was just interesting to learn about someone who I thought I'd known so well. So, the whole celibacy thing throughout the 80's? I think he was telling the truth. He did have a wierd thing about relationships and sex, and it was not just to sell records.

It seems he totally fell in love around 1994 with his choice of guys- a ruffian/tuff type. (Seems all those Smiths/solo songs about rough and uncouth boys?? We were blind, but now we can see.) When the LP "Vauxhall and I" was released, Vito pointed out the 'very special thanks to Jake' on it: "What does this mean?" "Vauxhall and I" is a great Lp- not as good as his first solo effort, but great nontheless. Some songs about love and happiness, but the last song, where he repeats something along the lines that those rumours about him were not "totally unfounded".
I'm real glad Morrissey has played his career the way he has. He has never said "yes", but we know. I like the playful nonanswers. It's a kool thing that someone once so closeted can sing so freely about that part of his life now. And now its kinda kool to go back over his later LP's and enjoy the lyrics.
I will handle the LP's between 1992 and "English Blood" later in the month one by one in the walkup to his shows.

No comments: