10 September, 2007

Band of Brothers link

Jac Weller is one of my favourite authors. His big deal is writing on Wellington's military career. One of the things that set him apart from his comtemp.'s is that he visited each battlefield, fired each weapon, gave easily understood schematic maps in his works, etc... I was very affected by his work, and understood the necessity of doing as he did. He just made it so simple to undrstand.
So I mimic.
I never understood the full panoply of Waterloo until I visited the site in Belgium- from then on, quick looks @ maps of the battle were much more valuable to me. For example, I understood perfectly how close the Prussians were @ Warve and how important was the Guards actions @ Placenoit from 4pm on.
One day I will visit the battlefields featured in Band of Brothers, both the perfect movie and the very good book. The Bois Jaques? Foy? Carentan?? And, frighteningly, Haganau*. For now, I stumbled across some nice pictures some other BoB fan has taken.
.......................................................................................
*=My mind has fought many many many battles in this town. Many. But, finally, the war ended. It always ends. And I survived. And this posts pic is a BoB scene from Haganau. And here's some errata pics- unless you like BoB, dinna bother.

No comments: