10 September, 2007

My friend the crack addict

Yes, I've known many to be in the deathly grip of drugs. Yes, you and you and also you and many more, and whatever. This particular one has fallen upon yak roc, and not just fallen on it. So, I spent most of Friday hanging out watching him and three others............yeesh.............I known I'm not one to say anything, but Friday was just a miserable day. Observing. And I stayed there till 3am, just observing......and getting frightened.

It's funny. I wanted things before, no doubt. Unhealthy things.
But these guys and girls............shoddy and shocking situation. I always know, but when confronted w/ such stunning disfunctionality. There's four I observed: my buddy, an honest to goodness crack whore, and two other crack addicts. Other sketchy types routinely trek through the gvt housing they live in. The Ghetto.
But to watch them burn through their $ when THEY DON'T HAVE ANY, scrounge for pebbles on the floor when their shit runs out, then call up other sketchy types for loans for ther next go around.
So, of course, I can save his life. This is what I think. I have three people who I care about where things have gone crazy wrong. One is ok, and I trust that this person will do fine. Another has crazy woman problems- crazy, and very unhealthy, and for the first time this person sadi to me "It mite be or possibly or maybe or could it be or I don't know or what am I'm thinking or it could be that i have a drinking problem... " He's been asking for help, and finally I realised that he needs real help. And then there's tere's Crax Add. He got his last paycheck, and when it got down to $400 left he gave his bank card to me like I asked. We went shopping Friday, then I took home his card. He will run out during the week, so I need to travel to the West Side with another grocery shopping spree soon.
But Friday was horrible. He's not the first big drug addict I've ever known (remember that old post where I said that the first person w/ divorced parents I met was when I was 21?? I realised that I'd met my first substance abuse person when I was......22.
Yeah, it was you. I was stunned then- drinking or smoking for eight days straight?? That was liteweight to the addiction that was manifest Friday nite.
Lord help us, I'm serious. He's gonna have to make it easier for me to try to help w/ this guy.

No comments: