11 April, 2007

A stratagem

Friday we have the semi annual librarian meeting in the Loop- this year it's @ the Art Institute. These are meetings where the librarians from the whole system meet to-gether for workshops, meetings, and instruction. Well, we're supposed to- but it ends up a giant reunion of peoples from grad school or the system who have known each other over the years. I always end up sitting wit school chums who really like to talk, so a lot of the instruction and stuff is missed on me. People really like each other, and its always great to see each other.

I think the grad school people were all in the same boat- after a long hard day @ work, we were going to classes once or twice a week for years. There's only one person from school that I keep in touch with by normal means (email= dude, party this wkd-what's up with that shit?), but from seeing them all the time, it's like we still hang. I can't say I miss school that much- its was mind grinding to do it (got it done, though!!), and the school grounds still resonate with an old broken heart on my part (still, after four years, there's maybe 1% anger or whatever it is left in me from that whole thing from 4 years ago-although I'll also totally testify that it was also a very needed happening in my life @ that point. I think it was, @ least......), but it was fun and good for the soul.

Last year the meeting was @ the Museum of Nat. History, and I was a bad boy. We had a great meeting where we were learning a lot, then cut for lunch. Instead of going back to the 2d half, I tagged along with frenz (the 'sister in law of code name Paul' would be one of them) and checked out the new exhibit @ the museum. Bad boy. Can't wait to see my peoples friday. And a free lunch!!

Friday nite brings along a party for one of GF's gf's in the south city. I'm not looking forward to it. Or maybe I'm just Mr. Opposites. Or Mr. April. Wait, what's that line in Ulysses?

And on Saturday, I'm going to a dinner for the lady I'm presently taking the place of. Plans are that she come back in a month, and my salary will be gone (I'll be paid as a sub again in a month, but since I haven't a house, children, or med school debt to pay off, i really don't have to work for another..........ten years if I wanted to.....................but then again, I'll never have a house or kids or..............ok, no med school. This dinner is in Bridgeport @ someplace I've never heard of, and it should be fun.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bloom's decision?

A stratagem. Resting his feet on the dwarf wall, he climbed over the area railings, compressed his hat on his head, grasped two points at the lower union of rails and stiles, lowered his body gradually by its length of five feet nine inches and a half to within two feet ten inches of the area pavement and allowed his body to move freely in space by separating himself from the railings and crouching in preparation for the impact of the fall.