09 April, 2007

Crown of Thorns or Crown of Cotton?

Or Maybe just a birds nest. Picture @ right sent in by ma cousine. It's a big nest, too. I wonder who lives there. Gf also has a nest on her property. She's got an American Robins nest, sans eggs yet.

Last year we had a Mourning Dove nest on the front door display of our neighbours to the South. The moma dove got used to people coming in the door and out, so it would just ride the door opening and closing each time. When the babies were grown enough, they hung around my house (very bird friendly area) waiting around to be adults (I guess). They two babies would hide in the bushes and tree all day, and it would be the topic of interest that day = They were on the side of the house after not seeing them all day, etc... One left early, and I was real afraid a cat had gotten it. Eventually I realised that it had just grown up enough to skip the immediate neighbourhood. The other one tarried for a week, then split. I developed a whistle so that the two little birds would recognize me and not be afraid and fly away, but I never realized if it worked.

No comments: