09 March, 2008

Shouting

In a day where there were various murders and bloody beatings of CPS students across the system, the 'bomb scare' @ my school on Friday didn't even make the news or papers. maybe if there wasn't such destruction going on elsewhere, I dunno.

But there was such scare for us on Friday. I don't know details, so I won't bother. But the day was kinda strange all day. That threat was in the air - not that any of the kids really took it seriously - they'd probably be home - but it was there. How could one not think of it w/ all the shit that goes on on university and school campuses - the killings and beating @ other schools this day being a point?

The kids were in a jovial mood, and I noticed the teachers being more vigilant. I always tell them to get the earrings off and the id's on and hurry up class has already started and you are late - but today all the teachers were doing it. We have a responsibility.

But the postpoint here is what happened after 9th period -3.45p. As I wrote, I always tell them to get the earrings off and the id's on and hurry up class has already started and you are late - except after 9th period. Boys with earrings and hats and meandering @ their lockers and all that, and I don't care (unless they are in the library - then it's business as usual and where is your id ??)- and neither do the other teachers. Th kids are going home. I suppose we should be more diligent, but its a rreal nice schoool - random bomb threats nonewithstanding.

This 'after 9th period crowd' , however, gave us all a treat - well, I loved their one minute spontaneity and will always grin @ it's memoris. Given the threat, that it was a Friday, and that the last class of the day had given way and they were going home for the weekend, several kids started to shout out "Hey -we made it! We're alive !! We're not dead !!" etc etc etc... Those several yelling kids morphed into several hundred yelling kids all screaming and clapping and shouting and yelling and just making a massive ruckous. The kids sensed that they could, so they did. It was of the moment, just rite, and faded away as soon as it started. It lasted just a scant minute rite outside the library on the third floor. I'll say it - I count myself very lucky to just be leaving the lib to soccer practice @ just that moment of creation - and paused to enjoy their art.
Well done kids.

No comments: