09 March, 2008

Corpus Christi

It's a stunner. The Harold Washington has the most ace of dvd documentaries on the whole Christ ride I'm on now - Corpus Christi. It's a talking heads doc. originally done for french T.V. - many many parts, but I've only the first disc (parts 1-2-3) - but it's exactly what I want : serious academics, not all on the same page, discussing the historical Jesus and the historical context. Oh, they have their own deals in there as well - some Believe, and I assume a yarmulke wearer (my favourite of the academics through parts 1-2-3 so far) does not - but it's just........... exactly what I want from a doc. Frontline has a kool one as well, but this one is a 100, where Frontline (which I'd really liked earlier) is a 49.

The context. The science. The scholarship. Don't get me wrong - In my several months now of Biblical context prusuit, many of these ideas are NOT NEW to me - but it's lovely experienceing them in such a powerful format. Ole!!
#Serious scholars on how Crucifixions took place- put the nails through the palms and the person being crucified will slip off the cross - better to nail them through the bones on the wrist. The Crucifixition is the first part of the series, and it's real kool that they start w/ this first - the idea is that of all we know/'prove' about the life of Jesus, from all the various clues and contexts, we can be pretty sure that there was some Palestinian named Jesus and he was crucified sometime around 30 A.D. God do I love Academics. Before I came into my own -err, well, still working on it - I wanted to be one. I glory now in knowing my gifts to this world lie elsewhere, but still the Love remains.

#Serious scholars on the role of John the Baptist - we* are all pretty sure that Jesus first got his chops as a follower of John the Baptist - but then, well, you know, since he had The Message and did not sequester Himself in the desert but mixed w/ the people.

#Serious scholars on the role of the high priests in the temple. those names Cahipus and Anias in a different lite. The temple and the Jewish religion totally protected by the Roman Empire back then.

Fucking brilliant - who could deny that there was a Christ when Art - showing the deep strenghtt of Gods children - is as perfect as this? Just a joke yes, but for me ......... not really. Fuck Hitler. Fuck Der Fuhrer.
Science and context and scholarship. Fully part of Christs Message.

I'm Virgil Hilts, and I support this Message.
imdb.com link (cheap)

Facets (cheap)

Tiny bit on the directors on another project (ok)
.............................................
*=what? I don't have an advanced degree in history? Have I not studied under Marvin Rosen?? Has Marvin not shown us The Way?

No comments: