09 March, 2008

Colorado

When I first heard the news of his death, the instant reaction was selfish : "I'll never get to hear him in concert" was that thought.

I've written bits before about the influence my sisters have had on my musical tastes early on and how they have endured - a Seventies full of WLS pop radio that later gave away to classic rock and finally punk before I went my own way fully.

And my sisters liked him a lot, so I've always had a soft spot for John Denver. I can remember my Dad spotting that bespeckled face on the telly and him saying "Isn't that the one the girls were crazy over?". And it wasn't just me. A favoured memory of my 21st spring was a classic university moment - Crankface's room, a bunch of us, and Crankface on the acoustic. He played a bit, and we couldn't figger out the song. But then the singing began - "Take me home country roads...." and we all released the joy w/in us.

Joy and Sadness. The Beatles were w/ the Maharishi when word got to them that their manager Brian Epstein had died. The mics and lites and camera in their stunned faces recorded the question "What did the Maharishi say about his death?" I think it was John who said that "he's out there somewhere, and we should think positive thoughts because these thoughts will reach him."

When word got out that John Denver was dead, I was with Jacob (nee Jimey) later that nite. That sadness that was between us as we acknowledged the passing and the life. I remember us singing and laughing - with joy - as we scrambled to figger out the lyrics. That nite was the first time I'd really paid attention to it's lyrics, as I was amazed that Jacob knew them so well - though not perfect. There was a lot of singing the same few lines over and over. Amongst other things, we sung the whole nite.

On reflection, I think we were trying to send our thoughts to him. I think of John and my Dad always when I hear this song now... whereever they are.

Bless you both, and us all.

or try this

No comments: