29 November, 2007

the Walking Subarbs

Enjoyed hanging out w/ Gf on some special day for us or other that was delayed for two weeks. We went to La Grange to eat @ an Italian rest. that we go to a lot. It a 2/1 place, but they did in the discounts do it was all full price. We were going to go see a movie @ the theatre, but time got to our semi plans. Gave her some nice gifts- wait, only one- but she loved it. I was suprised. No I wasn't. She loves everything. Spent a long time in Borders looking @ manga, war books, bird books, Sox stuff (covered up all the Cub books w/ Sox ones- it'll be changed soon, but I always think I'm clever.), Chicago stuff, before I forced myself out. Gf was patient, though of course she's not Patience.
We went out for a drink @ the James Joyce. Never been there before, but I knew of it because teachers @ the last school I was employed @ had the Joyce as their "Friday affternoon drink place". Most schools have some dedicated sopt for that Friday afternoon drink. The school I taught @ in the late '90's had their place in Bridgeport= Puffers. Rite on 33d and Halsted, it was alsoa great place for a pre Sox drink - I always park the auto in that part of the neighbourhood.
Puffers is now something else, but I bet they still serve cider. The place to go around there now for an after Sox drink (and after Bulls and after Blackhawks games @ the u.c.) is of course the 'South side Rainbo' = skylark. Gf like sit a lot, as do I.
But wait= it's La Grange that's the title to this post. Since my intro to La Grange in 1988, I've always loved it. First for the times of hanging out w/ frenz, proximity of train tracks in heavy use, and the wash of cicadeas in '90. But now a days, I like it becaus it's so built up. I know it's ad nasuem by now, but I so dearly love the 'walking city' effect, and Lagrange downtown has it. We drove up Ogden Ave., and it so built up as well. There is such a push to build in the downtown areas or wherever the train stops. So L.G. and along Ogden near the stops, these giant condo's have grown up. Bulky big time for the subarbs, topping out @ 6-8 floors and massive across, I enjoy the prsence they give to the street scene.
It wouldn't be a bad place to live, no? I always believed that if I ever had kids, I'd want them to grow up in as close an enviroment to what I experienced. Marquette Park, where we grew up, is gone forever as the 'hood of my youth, so Mt. Greenwood is the 2d best hood. maybe Rogers Park. we'll see.

1 comment:

Steve said...

Oh LaGrange, you bastard town you. You've grown too ritzy for your britches, and now your sons and daughters all live in the 606 or out westerly. Yet through chance, I now live six and a half miles directly west to the very city block (5200 south) on which the LG alternately nestled me and kicked me throughout my formative years.