06 November, 2007

school never ends

I'm a bit of a freak. Blame it on whatever, but here I am. Y'know, I read Marx, got into the Clash, and can babble on about the historical Jesus. Where-ever it came from, it did. University? Who knows.

But I always wondered about any of the neices and nephews- is there a potential freak in the lot? None has come out as such in hs. The first one (nephew.1) is w/in 6m of graduating university; not him the freak- he is going into some sorta something or other, and should get a nice office type job a few minutes after matriculation.

Then there is neice.1 She is an undergraduate @ the same place as I did. Smartly, she emailed me her history paper for me to go over. It was on the American Revolution and whether it was all that radical. She had some arguments in place and ok structured, but it was not argued well. Spent 2h on the fone w/ her trying to cowboy it up. Went well, jus' long.

However, I wonder- in the same way I became radicalized in my grad years because I had excellent profs who taught me to actually read and analyze, will the same happen to her? Hopefully with them all.

Whatever happens with them, I must amidt I'm awaiting on their problems as they get older. The theory is that I can be used as a resource. A different type of resource. Compared with the reat of my family, I'm not quite so........ I'm a little different than the rest. So if any of the kids come up with a big sorta problem @ least I can offer them a option they trust that isn't necessarily all the same as the rest of the family. Hopefully there will be no problems, but then again I am two score and one and I know the ineluctability of hardships in life.

This is not to put down my sisters etc, as they have been beyond excellent parents (believe me, I my career is kids their age, and am always deeply pleased w/ my 8 in comparison w/ kids I work with all the time, now and in the past) and excellent aunts. But, their world view mite be a little more.... narrower than mine ('cepting that they have kids, and I have no idea what it means to be a parent). I'm glad I can offer the kids options.

Hopefully the deep vanity of their uncles doesn't carry through- one of neice.1's sources was Dr. Alfred Young- one of my profs @ NIU. MAde sure i pointed that out to neice and...........you.