17 November, 2007

Hawk Man

This foto just in from Nas. A. Nice. It gives me a chance to relte a very short hawk story. 87th and Kedzie has a wide open area on 3/4 of the corners. It has a few trees- smallish 20-30 footers. I was returning from school on afternoon and realised that something was going on w/ the birds. A couple of seconds, and I spotted him.
But the behaviour- it wanted to roost, I guess. He kinda maneuvered around a bit to place himself in a kinda of an anti-stall underneath one of these trees- the leaf line could be touched by an adult standing underneath the tree. Then he swooped up and disappeared into the tree. All in one motion- swoop under, stall, then flap up- gone.
Oh wait, I can now go on and on about birds- it's been a longtime since I bored y'all. Thanks, Nas. A., fer the excuse.
I have just put up the Suet feeders again- I got sick of starling after starling chewing it all up- summers for me no suet now- and instantly the woodpecker came back. Still waiting on that most magical of treats, the Monk parakeets crowd, to come back. Winter, y'know- just not yet. But welcome back the W-pexx and even the starlings.
And a warm welcome back to a flock of grackles. They conquered the yard sometime last week- i've got lots of film, but I'm using it in for something, so y'll see it @ some point (still need to actually set myself up on ytube and flixxer- i will, i will== didn't i get a lap top and a diga me foto machine??).
wait- I do have a flicker page now= a bit lame, but...

No comments: