16 November, 2007

A moment in time from Douglas Park

I've coached lots of young people over the years- from 6 to 18-19 year olds. But always kids (unless my 'Don Kessinger like' field coaching- I'm a big time talker on the field =communication w/ teamates, not trash talking).

Now, on this team, it was all high school kids, and after soccer, it was the opposite sex that was most important. Once we had a playoff game @ Douglas Park several years ago. It was round robin play, so when our girls were playing on the field, the next two teams girls would be warming up while waiting till our game was over.

#7, a handsome kid who always had lots of girls over him, was watching our girls play from our sidelines as girls from the next game were also watching. #7 walked over to me, conspiratorily whispered "Coach Virgil*, watch me talk to the other teams players so I can steal their game plan".

Rite. Nice excuse. Go to it.
..........................................................................................
*= the entire soccer program called me Virgil or Coach Virgil. The two main coaches were called by their last name. The two junior coaches were called by their first name. Just the way it was. There was one of my old players in this program who is now @ this school = she calles me Coach Virgil.

No comments: