30 July, 2007

Soccer Moms

Summer time for me means going to the Dan Ryan Woods (a giant (((well, by city standards))) forest preserve @ 87th and Western) where for years my neices and nephews have played summer soccer. I started to go up when only neice.1 was involved, but eventually there would be five playing twice a week, either m-w or tu-th. I should have been cosching from the start, since I'd already coached in sevral schools by the time niece.1 started, but I only got it to-gether in summer of '04 and '05. In '04 I had niece.2 and nephew.2 one on team, and niece.3 on another. '05 was nephew.2 again on one team and niece.4 on another. It meant coaching from 10 June to 10 Aug mon thru Thursday, from 6pm- 8.30. In all honesty, I felt I was good @ it and I only worked part time in one of those summers, so I felt it was my duty to do it. I loved it, but like all coaching, the amount of time can be a total grind.

Like all else that has ground to an almost halt this summer in my life, i have only made it up to watch games twice this summer. Three are involved now, and one will be too old next year. The other plays volleyball in hs. So I pay most att'n to niece.3, currently playing hs soccer: I figure that whatever positive energy I create going to games is best spent on her, since she's now the only one paying competitively.

And, yes, there's other reasons to go watch A.Y.S.O soccer other than to watch the kids play.

No comments: