09 July, 2007

Oh God I'm pregnant

Heard 10k Maniacs “Hey/Give’m what they want”, an early 90’s radio hit. Catchy, up beat pop. Always kinda liked it, but really loved http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ypkQhbaFcU. It was 10k & Natalie with special vocal help from Michael stipe. I’m @ home writing, but understand that Ewetube will give me this in an instant. I remember that as a fun nite: one of my co-werkers @ Pier One, where I worked a bit in the early 90’s, had an inauguration party w/ lots over.

As I drove listening, I wanted to send some love to that tv program that usually has kick-ass presentations of music: SNL. This is not to say “hey SNL is still funny/hip/did you see it this wkd?”. This is to say : “Over the time I have been watching the show, usually when they have a musical guest on, the presentation of the song usually totally rocks- if it is a good song”. The examples are legion:


Third Eye Blind. “How’s it gonna be?”. Very sappy breakup song, even embarrassingly so, but I like. I’d seen them before they hit w/ that “Do do do/do do do do” song *. They opened up for Blur @ Metro (I think it was Blur) and they had a shitty first half set- people booing, mocking them, they giving the finger back. However, they totally won the crowd over in the second half- never seen such bad vitriol against a band totally turned to cheers in the course of one set. Big Franks old lover Lee loved this song as well- in hindsite, it was near the time they parted ways, and I always wondered how much the liking of that song centered around the issues in their relationship- well, the severing of ties part, I mean.


Nirvana. Rite after he offed hissel’, SNL repeated their appearance from the earlier fall on the show. I remember I was watching w/ Blackie one Sat. nite @ 1826 w. Lunt when they said Nirvana was being shown special. I ran out to get a VCR tape to tape it, w/ blackies “Kool”.


Dee-lites “World Clique” sometime in ‘91. She sang brilliant, and the masses of sounds- not quite Spectorish, or even in that vein- but all the little bits of percussion sounding though- lovely version. The percussion breaks !!!!!


Morrissey “Suedehead”. Not the best version ever, but he did it 4ys after , and w/ a new LP out, it was originally released. Nice to see him on SNL. Again a 1826 taped joint, this time w/ Big Frank there.


Snoop was on once. They played the greatest version of …..what’s the songs name? The brilliant part of that song was the growling of the backup rappers line “Wit’ my mind on my money and my money in my mind. I wanted to VCR it when they repeated it later in the season, but they didn’t show that song again.


Spice Girls. Wannabe. 1998 (?).Sounded good (really!!), they looked good: the best vesion of this song.


U2. I’ve liked the group for ever now- saw them on the War tour @ Aragon in ‘83- great show. For me, they still put out 2-3 songs an LP that I fancy. Now, “Elevation” is a deeply simplistic song- I sometimes feel that the jokey little stanzas I litter about this web address are better rhymes than the lyrics of that song. But this version is outstanding. Bono’s a showman enough, and if you grant that a showman has a bit of the absurd in them--check out Mick or James Brown--than one can enjoy the show. In reality, the song rocked, and the best way to enjoy it is to watch U2 do “Elevation“ is to pay att‘n to “The Woman in the Red Dress” dancing to the song in the audience. One of my pet sayings, arrogant, personal, and absurd all in one, is this:

“The two best things in life are the go ahead run in the bottom of the eight inning @ Comisky Park and a girl that dances.”

And in this SNL version, you can see her rocking out a couple times, just for a second or two, obv. Enjoying the song. Kudo’s to U2 for making a beautiful woman danse.


Garbage “When I grow up”. They are good live (yes, Shirley’s sexy ), and this version made me love that line “oh God I’m pregnant”, which I used a lot maybe 7-8 y.a. I remember one of my favourite students of all time liking garbage and smashing pumpkins a lot, and I remember starting to like this song plenty in the last week before summer 2000: they'd be 2-3 kids showing up for class the last few days of school, so we would combine classes and show movies and such. I aired the Matrix and plenty of videos like this one.


These are the ones readily @ mind- say what you will about SNL etc…, the $$ they get to spend on sound systems generally pays off. I tried to ewe them all for you, but it wouldn't let me- something about ewe tube not having the others........

*=when that song was out and big, either Dave Navarro or Dave Ghrol were asked the “If you could write one song……” question and he replied w/ “Do do do/do do do do” . Pretty sure Grhol.

4 comments:

Baywatch said...

my fave performances, by
year:
1975: Janis Ian
1976: Brian Wilson
1977: Kinks
1978: Sun Ra, Stones, Devo
1979: Tom Petty
1980: B-52's
1981: Kinks, Fear
1982: Clash
1983: Duran Duran
1984: Kinks
1985: Sade
1986: 'Mats, Run-DMC, Pretenders
1987: Suzanne Vega
1988: Keith Richards, Sugarcubes
1989: Neil Young
1990: Julee Cruise, Morris Day
1991: Deee-lite, Public Enemy
1992: Sinead O'Connor, Nirvana
1993: Soul Asylum, Cypress Hill
1994: Salt-n-Pepa, Snoop Dogg
1995: Foo Fighters
1996: Cure, Fiona Apple
1997: Spice Girls, Bjork, Oasis
1998: Elliott Smith
1999: Garbage
2000: Christina Aguilera
2001: Coldplay, No Doubt
2002: Eminem
2003: Missy Elliot
2004: Scissor Sisters
2005: Franz Ferdinand
2006: Prince

Anonymous said...

The spice girls? third eye blind? u2? What kind of a pussy are you??

Hilts said...

Hilts: stop commenting on yr own site. Like you haven't done this time and time again and called yrself a "pussy" or whatever time and time again. We are sick of it.

Hilts said...

Pussy.