28 July, 2007

Emerick

So, got those eight books that i'd ordered before in the mail, and lo and behold it was the beatle recording enginee Geoff Emerick's that I'm into first. I'm 1/3 in, and I'm liking it a lot.

A lot of the stuff I read I read because it's "good for me", not really what I want to read. I guess grad school really taught me to slog through some deeply unappetising books to get a greater appreciation of the whole. My technique is thus shown on my first approach to the American war- i read a 600+ page over-view of it first by james macpherson, then started to get into the individual battles. Ditto the air war in Korea- first the 700+p official USAF history of the war, then got to strategic bombing, the role of the chinease airforce, interdiction, air combat, jets, etc etc etc.... It seems the same progression is taking place with the Beatles. i read that huge bio out in 2005, and two years on it's 'what did the Beatles engineers think??"

So far its a fun read. He breaks into recording the Beatles bit by bit,and it took time before he was a #1 Beatleguy: he'll be all over a session of a single he was at, but then he misses an album and can only relate bits about hearing it being overdubbed or whatever. However, it still early, and its kool when one of the Beatles are kool to him- it's a bit like they're being kool to us.

Some kool insites. I wonder why this one caught my att'n:

" ...I had the distinct impression that (Paul) was the leader of the group. When he spoke, the others listened intently and invairabily nodded thir heads in agreement, and before each take, he was the one urging them onto give it their all. Looking back on it now, its funny how most people thought of John Lennon...as leader of the Beatles. It might have been his band in the beginning, and he might have assumed the leadership role in the press confrences and public apperances, but throughout all the years I would work with them, it always seemed to me that Paul...was the real leader of the group, and nothing got done with out his approval. "
.....................................................................
(Here, There, and Everywhere by Geoff Emerick)

No comments: