18 July, 2007

interviews streaks

On Sonic Youth Day (last Frid.) I had an interview @ a real nice north side hs. interview went ok, but since they said they'd decide real soon, my guess is that it went to somebody else. Real nice school, and I was gearing up to move to the northside even, but not that big a deal: there's other jobs available, and my confidence is very high.

One option to surely get a job this fall is to work in a grammer school. This is not anywhere near what I want= I've mainly been involved with high schools ('though I have a considerable grammer experience as well). I really am aprehsenive about being in a grammer school- to the lay people in the audience, teaching @ grammer schools and high schools are nite and day, especially in the library. I'd totally be open to working in a grammer school library if it was run more like a hs library- more research and projects, less "reading time" and "Dewey decimal", which is how MOST of the grammer school programs are unfortunately run.

I had an interview @ a school today- a grammer school- and I believe that I may be interested. I have driven back home by this school before and the kids have always seemed happy and orderly. The assistant principal had an extended semi gettoknowyou talk on the phone that impressed me. They are in a new building that is only 10m from my house. And it was made known that this interview was only a peliminary interview. All are signs pointing to maybe a school I'd be comfortable (ANY high school I'd be comfortable with) with being involved with.

The trick is is that I'm a superapostle* of using the media center as an important research tool. I loved that role this year, discovered I'm good @ it, and realise that more and more its a "media center" and less of an emphesis on "library". I relalise that I'm onto something good, and I can only hope it shows in interviews.

Now, the rub to the trick is that so few grammer schools use their library as a media center. however, if this school is to-gether as it seems, and they let me do it, I could (I'm not sure though) relish the role of media man. The administrations gotta be on it, the staff is gotta be on it, and maybe it'd work. Again, i'm not opposed to working in a grammer school- but, to use Crankfaces term that yes I used in the interview : With the research thing , I got mad skillz. The two interviewers were young, so it was kool.

On Monday I already have another interview set up in a Wicker Park grammer school. I wonder what part of Wicker Park is repped @ this school- pelim. indications are that this is also a pretty to-gether school. We'll see.

Job Fair Friday.
.....................................................................
*=normally I'm gonna i.d. meself w/ J.C., but I should throw some love towards the Twelve.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I feel it is essential that at your next interview you use the phrases "gay talk" and "double dutch."