02 March, 2009

"limp wristed pantywaist seriously overdoing it on stage"

One of my two favourite descriptions ever of a singer on stage was this one, put out by Rolling Stone in say 1993, describing Brett Anderson thusly : " a limp wristed pantywaist seriously overdoing it on stage". Suede has so many good songs - and with special pleasure i remember getting Jacob to see them in 92 or 93 @ Metro - only us two: no vito, gallo, or any of the other britpoppers from that time period (and no, patience had yet to exist in our world - which meant Crankface knew naught of that shit as well).

But, a $7 ticket (SEVEN TO SEE SUEDE AT THE METRO - TAKE THAT PATIENCE!) got us a 45m raveup. They were brilliant. And the description "limp wristed pantywaist seriously overdoing it on stage" - holy shit, earned. Brilliant.

So, since I'd posted so much gay themed/played music lately, I figgered I had to do some more. So:




Another Engerlanderer that I love, Chesterfield (also known as English Matt), also likes this band (which englander/irisher doesn't?), and after a heavy nite out I crashed on his floor, but to wind down, always come on w/ the rugby videos and the brit pop. I can remember he being astonished that i - like every 'irish' (or english, or italian, or etce cte ct) kid everywhere, I could sing along w/ every word.

And that wonderful athemic sing out - you know: "an-e-mallllllllllllll/ an an-e malllllllllloooooooooo" or however it goes.

Whatever - I'm so very glad that the life was breathed into me and I got to experience this. Sweat. dansing. Loving it. An believe me - the instant they rocked into whatever song - there was m dansing.

It was 1993. What did you expect me to do At a concert then - sit there and listen??

"an-e-mallllllllllllll/ an an-e malllllllllloooooooooo"

No comments: