23 March, 2009

lightning rod

The adults around school have been reacting to me a lot lately. I'm pretty popular @ school - i'm a nice guy and all and work hard and am great with he kids. But lately - maybe its the maturing process of being a coach, maybe the maturing process of being close to getting a fulltime job here finally, or maybe its the terrible insanity that my sleepless fortnite entailed - but I'm getting a noticeable amount of hostile glares from certain people, and loads of love from lots of others.

The love im sure is the success of the soccer program. I don't want to stamp 'success' on it yet, just three games into the season - but people know the work and effort I've put in. Hopefully the principal, of course, but mainly the girls. They know. I've even won over my top assistant coach - he's real excited about it all, when I knew months ago he thought I was a freak for outlining my ideas for the program (he came from a very less intensive coaching background). So now this has spread to the rest of the kids - a lot of kids are coming up to me and id'ng me as 'soccer coach' and not 'substitute' or ;librarian'. funny transition that. The teachers, too. We got on stopping by the game today. Very kool.

But its the glares that funny me the most. Since soccer season has heated up, I've gone into barking mode. Not angry barking, but a coach has to bark. This process has allowed me to take no prisoners in school either. I want the job, and know I have to get tougher in all areas to be a success. A lot of work, me, to be a barker on kids. But ....

And I'm tired of the lazy fucking teachers who just want to drop off their kids in the library and fuck off. Special Ed teachers dump their kids in front of a computer, don't want me to reach if I have a substitute assignment, etc... I'm just a lot different lately, and the lazy ones feel threatened. So, the lazy fuxx - they glare. Don't say hi - despite me now making sure they get sunshine from me when we pass in the halls. Again - I'm no superman, but for sure there is a different thing operating these days. That deep amount of responsibility that I have always fled from - making me such a disaster as a classroom teacher - is now being followed through on.

Fuck them. They fucking suck. Pay attention to these kids, fucks. Just do yr job. Then y won't feel so threatened.

I'm Winters. Sometimes. But never Cobb any more.

3 comments:

Hilts said...

hilts - yr so wonderful!! Y'r the second coming of Christ! But what about yr garden??

Arne Duncan said...

come on hilts. get real. this is PUBLIC SCHOOL. you should be training these hobgoblins to flip better burgers.

Anonymous said...

Now you get it. Down with the teacher's union until they rid themselves of all the entitlement teachers.
Arne... just wait until one of these kids is your boss.