08 March, 2009

football au printemps: Money Beckons

Ah, the spending sprees!! I deeply pride myself on my cheapness - get it cheap or do w/out, generally (unless that whole Reggie Jackson/ Rutger Hauer/Matt Jenke/Mick Jagger thing is taken into account thing is taken into account). So, w/ successive trips to marshalls and Sports Authority, armed w/ my cheapness and a 'tax free' form, I went shopping for soccer balls. Pretty good - I got 14 total for $123 - they ranged from $7 to $14.99. Pretty happy that we got new quipement, and that it was priced nice.

The other thing I was shopping for was a first aid kit. The assistant coach was talking around $30 for one, but now I know full well that ALL PURCHASES should go through me (a single exception, see below): there was one @ C.V.S. that basically fit the bill @ $9.99, although I want to get a few more cold packs to supplement the solo one in the kit. They are 2 for $5 w/ a $1 coupon towards the next purchase - so, get the two first, then spend $8.99 on the kit. I'd asked Jackson the M.D. where to get one, and he basically said just go to a place like C.V.S. Haven't bought it yet - since I own a very slite patch of Walgreens, I make a point of shopping there instead of C.V.S.

And the candy sale is coming up. I was able to but this stuff because last year the team raised close to $900 in candy sales. This yar my job is to maybe double that this year - I want $2000. It'll be easy to tell the girls: Look*, last year we played seven games - this year 13. And I gotta pay $250 for two of these games - so - next year, do you wanna play these extra games again? Then lets go nuts selling and selling so next year we can take buses and pay referees and play teams in the suburbs or whatever.

The plan is to get tonnes of candy from like Wal Mart real cheap and then sell it @ the $1 mark. It worked great last year, and with all of the coaches pushing the kids and and selling candy themselves, I am very hopeful we can reach the doublecentruy mark. Plus - since we have another team this year - my school for the first time will have something rare to all teams citywide - a freshman team. Since that means there are an extra 20 girls or so - all very enthusiastic to be a part of the team - I'm VERY hopeful of that double century mark.

Very hopeful.
......................................................................
*=look? Who do you think you are, Pesident Obama?

No comments: