05 March, 2009

Football au Printemps: ...laughing like crazy/@...

Boy - I'm still deeply in terrible shit because I do not have a soccer roster set yet. No question the school's AD is much more of a stickler for stuff than any other AD i've dealt w/ in the last two decades - we'd already have a preliminary roster, except that ... I dunno, she's saying we have to have a set roster ready for the season next week. This of course is ...... nothing that's ever seen before, by me, in any other program. However, as an old librarian who worked here once said, this school likes to follow the rules - and the rules I tried to BEND - everything was legal - wasn't allowed. Lots of head scratching, and deep instincts for all of us to fight off the urge to feel that someone here HATES THE GIRLS SOCCER PROGRAM - but the realization that I need to danse to this tune if I am to deliver on what i want for the girls in the program. It may be that everyone has to follow these

Yesterday was absurd. JV coach is really good, but a site that AD was dealing w/ him and not me (I came to practice after him and she was talking to him, and she basically ignored me and continued w/ him- fine, my girls need my attention, deal w/ whatever w/ my second, ok?) Um, i'm the technical director of this program - do you REALLY want this program to go back to seven games a year and no off season and Fridays off during the season and ? Do you care?

So, yesterday, I felt terrible. Just rotten. I'd known that in all reality, this school has never seen as ambitious a soccer person here as ever before - better players, better coaches: but never, to my knowledge, w/ my package - someone 'young', hard working, willing to put in the blood and sweat and TIME, experienced (this is the fourth high school program I have been a part of, and two others i have watched closely), and knows what to do. Now, this may be false - I have been here but fiver years now - but since, say, 1994, Ive never heard of my school having any sort of successful history. Now, in 1975, maybe - but not in my time*.

So, down on myself for the fucked up situation w/ the paperwork, down and fearful that i'd lose my team next year (Can't happen? Remember, 50 million Americans actually VOTED FOR GEORGE W. BUSH FOR PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES), yesterday was shockingly terrible.

And then today. Great weather, we are still legal to conduct tryouts, and gloriously, 70 young women out trying out for the team. Again, the breath of life flowed through me. I love it. We had my girls, the varsity, scrimmaging on a small field. We had another two small groups of girls practicing in another area. Then, after 10th period, we had a smashing load of girls come out to play. Although baseball and softball had their people out - we dominated the space. And yes, I do feel competition w/ ALL other sports, 'cepting my beloved boys basketball team.

But- still no full sheets of paperwork .... and our first two exhibition games loom next week. One we can probably get away with - I don't even have to be there - but next week we have to have it set.
As Wellington said of Waterloo, It'll be a near run thing. Mite as well through in Blucher as well : Quelle affair! And, finally, Aliotta Haynes Jeremiah : to-morrow is another day.
.................................
*=please note, I really haven't done anything besides double the number of games played since last year, gotten them conditioning - before the grand halt - long before any other year, and created a third 'freshman' team. Oh, wait, i HAVE done well so far!!

1 comment:

Hilts said...

One thing, hilts, is that your arrogance gets in the way. We know you bleed for this team.. We know you are the Holy Hosanna for this team. we know that's it's you and only you and that the importance of you superceeds all.

But do you have to endless repeat it, again and again? And if this arrogance translates so well through SecurityOut! - don't you think maybe that others are picking up othis self importance? And this has rubbed people - well, one person - wrong?

Maybe??