09 March, 2009

Football au printemps: Distraction

Driven down by sleeplessness, I was a wreck gong into school today. More shit happened - I had to email a coach of a Premier League school to tell him we had to cancel our "friendly" w/ them on Saturday - were just not enough together yet to get it done.

So - rosters are due this Friday - and, again, it's gonna be a near run thing. I think we will have enough bodies to fill out our three squads - unpreecented in our schools history, btw, those three teams (only had two before) - and a deeply proud accomplishment for me, because it as made possibe by one person - me - but just worrying. Usually it's Jesus or Joyce who I compare myself to - but now it's the president. All the fuss about grey hair on his head - I can only guess w/ the amount of worrying over the girls I'm ordealing through, I hesitate to mirror meself because surely it will be the sock of battleship grey reflected in my sites.

However, a meeting w/ the second coach in 4th priod was very productive - we are in the process of diving up players for the three teams, and its good to just get some decisions decided. It was easy to pick varsity - mainly last years kids, with a smattering of new kids. It was hard to winnow down junior varsity - I had to make decisions first, then the next bunch could be picked. We announced the JV team @ the end of practice - and it was funny because the girls who were picked were so excited, all hugging and excited and yelping.

And then there was the remainders. True they were not icked for the first two teams, but this year we got a place to put them. They are a ragged lot - pure freshman team players - but we have a place for them to play. Funny - the JV coach seperated the JV girls to talk to them, and I was 'running' the freshman team - and they all were totally like "What does that mean, that we are out here away from the other girls?" fearing that this was the end of the line. However, although they would have liked to make the JV team (Varsity? - HA!!), I'm sure they are happy that they are on a team.

And I am very happy. So many fears all day, mixd w/ other emotions - but a deeply satisfying ending to the athletic day - well, actually, as I write, the Bulls and HEat are tied near the end of double OT game.

No comments: