08 March, 2009

Song is Over

Went to my schools basketball game - state playoffs - and we died a lonely slow death - we are done for. Last year, w/ more height/bulk in the middle and the freshman star playing his part, we won two extra games before the bitter loss to end the season. This year - well, since the star (now a soph) left in the middle of the year - something was missing. It showed since January, and this result was to be expected.

So, the song is over. I knew there was to be no state championship here this year, but the end came way too soon and I will totally miss it until next fall. Sucks. I'd really liked being part of the crowd - there wasn't another teacher who supported the team like I did, and I always felt the love from the boys @ school. I also loved sitting with the parents - I'm a pretty silent guy in many contexts - especially @ the games - but eventually I got to sitting near them. When I went into this game, I inadvertently sat on the other teams side of the gym- no biggy, but @ the end of the first quarter I switched sides to be near the parents. Not till November, now - but luckily for me, they're all coming back w/ a single exception or so. Wait till next year.


A final minor disappointment - Sister.3's kids I rarely see since they live way out in the suburbs (the other three sisters are basically w/in walking distance in the 'hood). However, if my school had won Friday night, then we would have played the Sectional matches @ the H.S. w/in 2 blocks of his house. It would have been fun to have taken them - the boy is a hooper in his own right and I'm sure he would have enjoyed it a lot.

No comments: