23 March, 2009

football au printemps: injuries and confusion and site

Varsity is now 2-1 w/ the win today -v-Gob HS. We'd played them last year in a 'relegation/promotion' game @ the end of the year and won that game rather handily - I think it was 5-2. So I suspected a win this year - but it was harder than I thought'd be. Despite high hopes, we played a terrible and lifeless first half. We had a wind - kind've a big deal @ this level when it whipped that well - but could get nothing done.

It was only some of my fault - this was the last of our games before our ultra important Conference schedule, and we (I) have a lot to work on. I'm glad, however, we got some experience before these ultra games - only seven - come on. These seven games are important because we are presently in the second level of teams and if we win these seven games - or @ least get the most points out of these seven games - we can move into the top conference in the city (The Premier League). It'd be a kool thing to play w/ the giants next year.

We'd played one of these teams already - the 1-2 loss where I'd had my crisis of faith - and played well. But this first half - horrible. Partly it was confusion on where the players were playing. Although most of these kids have been playing together for years, I'm a new coach. Again - I know this is old - I didn't want to reinvent the wheel (so to speak- that wonderful phrase where you can use a cliche but also get away w/ it by this acknowledgement) and mainly used the kids in the same positions. However, there are new kids and injured kids and kids needing playing time - and in the course of the game, especially early on, I'd made some switches and that caused confusion. Mercifully, half time ensued, we all got on the same page, and instantly got better in th second. Seems like I'm saying that MY DECISION MADE ALL THE DIFFERENCE - but really that's not the case or even a Hiltsian attempt to make all spotlites shine on him. I did what was needed, but i think the girls just came alive in the second half because they got used to playing - and especially the inspired play of one player in particular. more below.

Generally speaking, our defense was great - it was the offense that troubled. But in the first two minutes of the second half we had two great offensive combinations, and eventually the goals came. One was from a shot off the right winger - she so fast and was able to get around her defender a few times - her goal seemed more of a pass that eluded the goalie. One up, such a relief, and into the wind. The next goal was a killer shot from the left midfielder - funny, I wanted to say one of my favourite players, but they really all are) who scored from distance. We want the girls to take shots when they are open and in range, and presto!

We need to work on many things - spread the ball wide on offense, put it into space so the fast wingers can get to it, get in front of the goal, handle long balls and be quick on the turn - funny (back to Hilts and his role) how my dark clouds have turned into phrases like "put it into space so the fast wingers can get to it, get in front of the goal, handle long balls and be quick on the turn" . Time is short and the team needs direction, and I need to be there for them. And for myself.

There were other good things. The girl who made me mad the other day by not wanting to play on the JV team for one game came to me and asked to play. She's just a kid, and I felt terrible for getting mad @ her - but she did play goalie for the JV. She took the hit for the program. I'm proud of her.

Varsity got an old player back - the girl who has to play on JV because she has nite classes on T-Th and can only make it to the JV games (V. are played first, generally - JV later) was able to play on V for the first time this year because this game was on a Monday. Thursday she'll be back on JV. I'll take her when we can get her, and she'll get experince on JV. She played better on V - surrounded by better players.

The defenders displayed were great. Fantastic. They were strong on the opposing forwards and kept coming up big - especially in the first half. Again and again and again they cut off attacks from the other teams and basically kept our goalmouth free of opposing attacks. Well done beyond belief, and it gives me great hope for the future of the backline. In soccer @ this level, the premium on an organized backline is so great. For now, they inspire me and my faith in the team.

And we got a great player back. Again- one of my favourite players - came back from an injury, and her incredible energy really made a huge difference. A huge difference. She's a wonderful positicve force, and deeply skilled. Small in stature but throwing her body into the play always, her enegry spread to the rest of the team - her play was, I think, the catalyst of victory. 10m ago, when I knew I was to get this team, I wanted to name her as one of the captains. I decided to stay w/ one who was captain last year and one who was obviously the most respected of them all. Then, over the weekend, I revisited this question in my head - and decided not stay still. But now ...... She's just such a positive life force, and now. w/ the difference her play makes ...... maybe ...... I.......should.........

But there were also bad moments. One of the captains was injured. She has a wealth of talent and superior ball skills - but also missed most of last year because of injuries. One thing I've noticed about girls players v. boy players is the stunning amount of injuries @ this level among girls. Last year half the team was out @ some point or other. I mean, ER beyond belief. The positive life force I wrote about in the above para. was injured and this was her first game back in the season. Her injury, however, was a non soccer injury and I'm not so worried about her. But every game, some muscle gets twitched or a back strained - and the cumulative effect is scary. I do not want to be left w/ a bunch of injured kids and have to play JV in State.
But - we have stuff to work on, I have some good ideas, and am Looking forward to Thursday. And - I got upwards of 6h sleep last nite - yes, work up @ 5am - but FELL BACK ALSEEP. Not a classically great nites slep,but I haven't been more rested in a fortnites plus.

No comments: