13 May, 2008

Volleyball and soccer

Went to my nephews Vball game -v- another neighbourhood Catholic school last nite. Skipped out of soccer practice a bit early to get to this game. The other school is ranked, and my nephews team is just outside the rankings. Win this game, and they will be ranked next week entering the start playoffs.

They won.

Lots of family were there. His sisters and 2 parents were there. Another sister -and husband and three kids -were also there. And Uncle Freak. Plus, he's a real popular kid - although he doesn't start, he's one of the captains. Lots of his frenz there as well. Very proud of the kid, his proud uncle proudly writes.


And what a Catholic deal this was. Started with everyone up one their feet - not for the Anthem, but for prayers !! Then some more prayers - those type familiar to Catholics where they say some saints name, and then we all say "Pray for us". And then, after good participation in the prayers, were were treated to a scratchy prerecorded version of the National Anthem. Silence. The repeated scrumscrumscrum in the audio system, all chill. Then, behind us, it happened - one lone soul, one lone artist, one lone singer, suddenly announced himself by gamely trying to bring us all into the song. Out burst an off key "and the rockets red glare/ the bombs...". Instantly, smiles and cheer erupted in the gym. Instant was the appreciation for that soul, that artist, that singer, and - there came more voices. Not the di Lammermour is she were a man behind us hear all across the gym: but just over the breath, just audibly the words, and louder and louder till the end. It never got anywhere to the noise of the Stadium during those Campbell Conference finals in what -'85? but it made me feel great about the nite.

I never looked back to see who it was. Coulda been a kid just goofing. maybe and old vet wanting t all to hear. Didn't matter. Sounded great.

And the game. The opponent has a great record, and has had a class squad for a long time. Now I admit that i'm just learning about Vball, but it was obv that Nephew.2's team was the better. They won in 3 games, but the third game (up to 25) was 20-5 before mt Nephews team slowed down (Last game was 25-12, i think). I was happy for many reasons. They won. Lots of family were @ the game.

And I got to correct a little unintended dis that i'd done @ my nephews last game. After the game last Thursday, it's customary for all the people to gather as their boys grab their stuff and board the team bus. On Thursday I'd walked over to the circle of people around my nephew, and said hello and shook hands to one of his frenz while waiting 5-6 seconds before I said a like greeting to another of his frenz I should recognized. I felt bad for the mismatch of attention paid to both of his frenz - but on this day I looked for and accomplished correction. So, after this game, walked over to the circle, there was Nephews friend, instantly caught his eye, nodded hello, and shook hands. Funny -I saw on his face that he liked that I said hello. Done and not to worry about it again - and done in such a way that i was able to exactley correct in the exact same context as the slite from a few days before. Very good.

And today's game is one in which I have to miss. I have a varsity state playoff game to help coach. It's @ st. Xavier university, walking distance of my house. We are playing a very sound Catholic League team - meaning tough - that has had a down year. It's gonna be tpough, but I am somewhat confident about the game. We'll see.

No comments: